Hood and Mask - Which comes first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen on several occasions mask being kicked off by other divers or after someone giant strides into the water and mask comes off.

I would suggest that anyone doing a Giant stride if you where not already taught it to consider when stepping off into the water you place your one hand over your face... Holding your mask snug against your face and your regulator securely in place. This will prevent the loss of your mask...

Also keep in mind if you are using the hood as the means to keep your mask safely in place that the one of the weakest points on a mask are the buckles... I would much prefer to have my mask kicked off and retrieve it ( or have a buddy retrieve it ) and complete my dive rather than have the forces break the buckle and have to thumb the dive and possibly the rest of the day due to some fools foot!

You mask should not leak more than it does w/o the hood. Check the skirt of the mask and make sure the hood does not get under the skirt. That's the usual problem with the hood when diver does not make sure the mask skirt is under the hood.

I've seen on several occasions mask being kicked off by other divers or after someone giant strides into the water and mask comes off. None of these have happened to me but I'd rather err on the safe side.

We were taught to hold on to your mask and close the reg's diaphragm with the same hand when doing the stride. That solves the problem with the mask and the reg free flowing. :) The other hand holds on to the weight belt if you have any

We were taught to hold on to your mask and close the reg's diaphragm with the same hand when doing the stride. That solves the problem with the mask and the reg free flowing. :)

Yes, I was taught that as well, and do that each time.

I'm with the rest I've never seen anyone go with mask under hood, but it sounds uncomfortable and a PITA to get on. You leakage problem is mask skirt over hood. Have fun

Over, for a couple of reasons.

1) I like my hood on but mask off as I don my rig (particularly the backup reg which is on a necklace)
2) I've had masks fail, and have no desire to remove my hood in water cold enough that I'm wearing one just to take it off (and replace it). <- sorry for the confusing grammar... I know I'm referring to the wrong "it," but hey, it's early.

I am planning my first dive requiring a hood, and a very basic question occurred to me. Is the hood worn on top of the mask strap, or vice-versa?

If you put the mask strap under the hood, it will never fall off.

On the other hand, the straps keep the hood from sealing against your face, so your hood will now flush water pretty much continuously and you'll be cold.

I leave mine outside the hood. The only time I've ever had the strap fall off was when my deco instructor was nearby. Twice. There may be a connection. :cool:

Terry

Get a neoprene mask strap and wear it over your hood. (Fit it properly so you don't have any mask leakage.)

When I tried it under my hood, the constant inrush of 45 degree water was so bad, I removed and replaced my hood while at depth.

I've tried it both ways, although I have to admit I tried it under the hood in relatively warm (70 degree) water. I didn't like the strap under the hood -- it seemed that, when I turned my head, it would disturb the mask and make it leak. I use the strap over the hood, and have learned I have to check the strap periodically during a doubles dive, because the isolator knob pushes it up my head until it floats!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom