• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Hoods and being choked to death

Discussion in 'Diving Into New Gear' started by iyakonboats, Sep 1, 2020.

1. JahJahwarrior

JahJahwarrior ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If there is anything to buy local, it's wetsuits and hoods.

If the local shop doesn't have the brand you want to try on, time for a vacation! :)

My K01 is the 5mm and only for dives where I'm not moving much, otherwise it is stifling hot. My Lavacore is great but provides no thermal protection at all, just bare minimum, but for swimming dives it is perfect. Both purchased in a store after trying on 2-3 sizes.

2. jagfish

jagfish The man behind the fish ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I almost suffocated myself in a fitting room one hot day...while I was pulling the (too small) hooded vest down over my head, when it stopped while covering my mouth and nose. Due to the sweat, it got stuck in place and I could not breathe. I struggled like mad for what felt like a (breathless) eternity. Things just started to get "sparkly" when I was finally able to dislodge the vest enough to grab a breath. No one expects to go out like that...

eleniel and iyakonboats like this.
  3. lamarpaulski

lamarpaulski Solo Diver

I hate hoods too because of that chokey feeling. I find hooded vests are much much better and really keep you warm too. I can’t really explain why they don’t choke as much as hoods but they don’t. I keep thickness to a minimum for diving conditions.

ymmv

eleniel and birdman27 like this.
  4. FluffyRabbit

FluffyRabbit Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    If I wear the hood by itself on land, it is not too bad. However, when I tuck it under my wetsuit, all the material scrunches up and that choking feeling is horrible, especially with neck flexion. Recently, I started wearing the hood outside of my wetsuit - it looks weird, but its almost just as warm underwater with much less constriction.

eleniel and Bubblesong like this.
  5. birdman27

birdman27 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I too find hooded vests to be much more comfortable. Really changed my desire to dive locally once I figured that out (and I only figured it out by accident when I had a major suit malfunction on day 1 of a 3 day trip to the channel islands; one of the crew let me borrow his old hooded vest and the rest is history)

lamarpaulski likes this.
  6. Caveeagle

Caveeagle Rebreather Pilot

Fourth element makes a real nice hood. Only one I have found that doesn’t choke me out.

7. Scraps

Scraps ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    What a great post! Thanks for taking the time to share that history, Sam.

8. Dark Wolf

Dark Wolf Solo Diver

I also have long and thick hair. I went with the zip back and bought two sizes. The XL was very snug, and I dove it with the zipper unzipped for a few months until the neoprene stretched some. I also trimmed around the face. It now fits very well, but there was a time I was about to set it on fire.

DW

9. dewdropsonrosa

dewdropsonrosa ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I'm with @davehicks's wife and @Dark Wolf. If you have a lot of hair (when I started diving, mine was long enough to snap my neck if I sat on my ponytail), a zippered hood left unzipped/gusset coverage only is the way to go.

Dark Wolf likes this.
  10. EireDiver606

EireDiver606 Public Safety Diver

Did it not all begin in Italy during WW2? I suppose US, Italy, and France were developing scuba at the same time.