Hopkins in June - Suggestions Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tt5five

Registered
Reaction score
Fourth trip to Belize. This time we think we will try diving out of Hopkins. Looking for suggestions for a local dive shop, beach lodging in Hopkins area and any do-it-yourself trips from Hopkins. (Hiking, waterfalls, waterholes, etc.) We rent a car. Enjoy local food and places. Budget minded but no hostels. Family of 4 with college age children. Have done ATM cave, dove in Placencia last and done all the zip lines. Also did San Pedro prior to that.

Dive Question: Plan on diving two days. Also have a non-diver. Looks like the main options from Hopkins are a morning two tank reef dive or a full-day 3-tank trip to Glover’s Reef Atoll. If we go to Glover's, that will strand our non-diver for a full day. Is there a difference in what will be seen wildlife wise between the reef and the Glover's trip? Trying to figure out if we should do one trip to Glover's even if it kills the entire day. We do enjoy the larger stuff, which is always hit or miss. Trying to sort out if it is worth the extra money and time. (It is a short trip so only 2 days to dive.)

Happy to hear suggestions on any and all of the above or anything you think I am missing.

(I keep coming back to the Board because I always get good advice.)

Thanks,

You've already done a lot of the usual mainland things that I like to suggest.

Sounds like you haven't been south of Placencia. Punta Gorda is the fourth, I think, largest village in Belize, meaning it's a small place. But it has a lot to offer day trippers. It's an easy drive from Hopkins, just pull out on the Southern Highway and turn left. Straight through the traffic circle that would swing you around to Placencia and keep heading for Independence. Turn right at the sign that points to PG, can't miss it, and enjoy the ride. It's around two hours or so with very light traffic.

You can stop in Big Falls and check out the uh, big falls. Fun place to swim.

When you get to Dump, yes, Dump, you can turn right and head towards Guatemala. Very pretty road that passes through some old Mayan villages. Go to Blue Creek Cave and swim in um, the cave that Blue Creek runs through. Smaller falls on the right. Or keep going to White Falls, I think it's called (Edit: Rio Blanco Falls, lol), and of course you can swim there, too. Can't miss it as it's a National Park with a big sign and a lodge on the left as you head for Guatemala.

Unless they finally paved the rest of the way, you still can't drive all the way into Guatamala on this road yet. Some day. But you can go to the end and watch all the Belizeans and Guatamalans walk back and forth.

Heading back to Dump, yes Dump, keep going straight to arrive in PG. Enjoy one of the most authentic, least touristy villages of Belize. Read the book by the American couple who lived in a tree house there back in the 70's (Edit No. 2: Treehouse Perspective: Living High on Little) so you can traipse around looking for the tree house remains. Stop by Garbutt's Marina, right on Joe's Creek just look for the dive flag, and ask Dennis to take you up one of the nearby rivers to literally the land time forgot. Check out Copal Tree Lodge on your way out to see how the rich and famous vacation. Grab a drink in their lobby. It really is sweet and maybe something you and your wife can do without the kids in tow next time. And there's a very pretty church a couple of miles north of PG, probably the prettiest church in Belize besides St Johns in Belize City.

As far as Glover's and is it worth it? It's always hard to answer a "worth it?" question for someone else. I never miss an opportunity even though it's a relatively long boat ride, which I don't mind because I sleep well on a boat. It's definitely a full day and you have only two. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say...it's up to you, lol.

Hopkins is very near Bocawina and the national Jaguar reserve.
Lots of trails to hike. And waterfalls. Some aren't leisurely walks. You're hanging onto tree roots or ropes to get through a few places. But beautiful.
Diving off of Sittee River, Hopkins is as good as anything in Belize except maybe Turneffe Elbow.
I count cuts in the reef going south of Southwater Caye. The 6th has a big school of dog snapper. Very nice.
7th cut, or Gran Channel is very good also. The wall starts at about 20 meters or so.
I mainly free dive spearfish and these are my favorite spots.
And Sittee River....Very species rich environment.
Where to stay in Hopkins...i have two daughters working there. One in Hopkins Bay and one in Parrot Cove. Opposite ends of Hopkins but only a couple miles apart. You will enjoy.

Lol, Hank, I completely forgot about Cockscomb Basin!

Yup, Hopkins is real close to Cockscomb, the first Jaguar preserve in the world thanks to Dr. Rabinowitz, RIP. A fantastic place to hike, swim and tube down the river.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom