Hopping my way to full cave...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Owning up to a buncha mistakes and realizing how preventable they should be is a great start to not making them again. It's also very difficult for a lot of people to do. Thanks for sharing

I basically treat this thread as an online AAR, that we are supposed to do after a dive, but let's be honest isn't that common unless it is a glaring issue.

If I don't admit to my mistakes and try to move forward to prevent it, it can snowball to a much larger issue. And in tech diving, that can get someone killed.

4200psi? WTF is wrong with you?

It is a little high, but in the top end of the normal range in cave country. It was a little over 4k when I unhooked them off the fill whips.

Well I am starting to really get a hang of the drysuit. There are times when I am less than perfect, but I am starting to be able to feel when I get an excess bubble in my legs and am able to tilt to get the air to my exhaust valve.

The DM here is also pretty surprised that I am able to get away with only 10lbs. I have to dive down to get the first few feet, and I don’t really feel like I have much if any excess negative buoyancy at the end of the dive. But so far it feels right.

With most everything being blown out, and most of my regular buddies out of town. Doc says I can't get my big toe wet for a while, so I took my drysuit out in the Gulf, where the water temp was 86 degrees, in preparation for the Grouper Dives that we are doing.

I wore just my base layer. I was quite comfortable in the water, quite warm out of the water being that it was 80s to 90s top side. But I was able to spend much of the SI just hanging out on the spare ladder.

The dives themselves were pretty boring, vis was 5-10 feet. Dive 1 I was a little off balance as I hadn't shifted my weight to counter my AL40 pony. But I did run into a Goliath that we spent a good couple of minute staring at each other. After navigating around the barge spending 30 minutes underwater, I was bored.

Dive 2 I adjusted the weight, moving two pounds from one side to the other, so I wasn't fighting the pony bottle pulling me to one side. But this dive site was even more boring because it was just scattered rubble. In fact after 30 minutes I realized that I was lost as my out and back should've taken me back to the mooring line, so I did a boat check and found myself right at the ladders. Yeah I meant to do that.

Overall boring dives, but I am finding myself not really minding the drysuit as much. And being able to concentrate on the dives.

Probably no diving until the Grouper dives. I want to get back in the caves and between my limited time for the next couple of weeks and another damn Tropical Storm it might be a while. Might have to make a trip to the Keys when my scooter comes in. Not really sure where else to practice it and learn how to drive it.

yeah, I have two full cave classes, a stage class, and a CCR cave upgrade scheduled between August 20th and September 18th. If Fred hits our area I'm not sure how that will work out.

yeah, I have two full cave classes, a stage class, and a CCR cave upgrade scheduled between August 20th and September 18th. If Fred hits our area I'm not sure how that will work out.

Just extra water... :poke:

I cancelled classes last week & am about to cancel the week of the 20th. WE got back to High Springs today & the river at my house is higher than it was when we left. I reckon we will road trip again somewhere...

I cancelled classes last week & am about to cancel the week of the 20th. WE got back to High Springs today & the river at my house is higher than it was when we left. I reckon we will road trip again somewhere...

Ugh... I suppose there is Manatee.

Anyways in a TIL segment, the batteries in the Palm D can affect the reading you get. I was testing a pair of tanks that I brought home from the shop. While at the shop I tested it real quick to make sure that I didn't have air or something weird like pure O2 or helium. But I do my labeling and testing at home. So I calibrated my Palm D and tested them, getting 30% which was weird because it was around 35-36% at the shop.

So I pulled out my Divesoft tester and it read 35%, which was in the range I was expecting. I figured that maybe the sensor was going, and pulled out the spare sensor that I bought a couple of months ago. While apart I noticed it still had the original batteries in it. I figured what the hell I would replace those first before I broke the seal on my new sensor. I replaced it, calibrated it, and suddenly I was getting 36% which was again in the range I was expecting.

Which explains why the tanks I used this weekend were also reading 30%, when the label I had on it was for 35%. I figured I might have screwed by not removing the label, and the shop that filled those (different shop) thought that I wanted my usual 32%, and did their usual poor job at hitting that (like today I went to pick up a tank I requested at 32% and it was testing 29% on their tester).

Not really a big deal in either CNS nor MOD as the dives were like 50 feet max. Regardless lesson learned replace those batteries yearly. :facepalm:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom