Horrible Customer Service Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Today I had one of the worst customer service experiences I have ever had with DSS. Several months ago I purchased 4 wings from DSS. 2 singles and 2 doubles. While on a trip to Turks and Caicos, I noticed that the wing was leaking. I opened the zipper and discovered that the bladder had a tear in it. Not sure how that occurred since it was simply packed and shipped but I needed it repaired. Two months ago, I shipped the bladder to them and paid for a replacement bladder. I had not used the wing until I took another trip to Cozumel at the end of July. This time, I noticed that the area of the wing near the OPV would not remain inflated. I sent it back to DSS for the 2nd time in 2 months. Today I was told there are 2 small tears in the bladder near the OPV and that I would have to purchase a 2nd bladder to make the wing functional. The 2nd one in 2 weeks. I have never had this occur with any wing I have purchased in the past. I have used Halycon and OMS wings without failure. This is the first time I have used wings made by DSS. I am realistic enough to know that things fail. That's just the nature of things. But 2 failures in 2 months on a wing that was only used on one trip since the original repair seems to be beyond coincidental. But I cannot keep buying bladders after every trip I take. I paid to ship the wings to California and to have them shipped back to me twice now. As an avid diver, I am know how properly care for scuba gear, including a wing.

I am disappointed in the fact that the staff chose not to simply replace what I believe to be a faulty bladder. Either the material the bladder is made of is simply to thin to withstand basic transport in a suitcase, or the decision was made to simply not exchange a bad bladder for a good one. This may all just be a bad coincidence. That bladders somehow become damaged without warning by simply moving them into a suitcase. I don't know. But for those seeking to purchase items from DSS in the future, I wanted to share my experience. Perhaps it won't happen to someone else, and prior to this incident, it had not happened to me. But I cannot justify continuing to ship and replace bladders after each dive trip.

Anthony,

Let's examine the facts:

1) You managed to "pinch flat" the bladder in one of your wings. Pinch flats are not caused by faulty bladders, they are caused by impacting the wing, most often by dropping a back plate edge wise on the wing.

2) We inspected and installed a new bladder and tested this customer damaged wing at a nominal cost, far less BTW than most other makers charge for a new bladder alone.

3) 2 months after returning this like new wing you again managed to pinch flat the bladder. Once again, bladders do not spontaneously "pinch flat"

4) We again offered to repair the wing at nominal cost.

All wings are subject to pinch flat damage. DSS wings use robust materials and suffer relatively few pinch flats, but it is possible, wings like all inflatables need to used with appropriate care.

Tobin

Let's indeed examine the facts.

1. I did not pinch anything. I packed the wing in a suit case. I put the suit case on a plane. I took the wing out of the suit case. I got on a dive boat and put the wing on a tank. I jumped in the water. The wing was never used prior to that moment after it was received from being repaired.

2. You charged me for the cost of a new wing. I have no idea what others charge for the service but I was indeed charged for a service to be provided.

3. Again, I did not do anything other than what was stated in comment 1.

4. You offered to charge me for the cost of a 2nd wing. The 2nd one in 2 months. Offering suggests that something other than a business transaction took place. I don't consider that an "offer".

The bottom line to me is that as a customer who has purchased a product that has been non functional twice, DSS's response has been that it's my fault. I did not place a heavy back plate on the wing. I did not place anything on the wing other than clothes that were packed with it. If future customers wish to believe
that I did then so be it. But for others who may want a first hand experience as to how DSS provides customer service, then they have one. All I waned was a functioning wing. No more no less. If the bladder that was sent back to me does not accomplish that then I would expect the company to replace it without me having to buy another bladder.

1. I did not pinch anything. I packed the wing in a suit case. I put the suit case on a plane. I took the wing out of the suit case. I got on a dive boat and put the wing on a tank. I jumped in the water. The wing was never used prior to that moment after it was received from being repaired.

Why do you need so many wings? 4 DSS wings and OMS and Halcyon wings. That's at least 6 wings and maybe more. Why so many?

Tobin

Pardon - a question, if I may, as I am confused . . . you received your repaired wing, and didn't inflate it and check it out?

And then when you arrived at your location, you didn't check out your gear before you jumped in the water?

I don't understand -- I thought one was to always inspect their gear, and if traveling, before packing to insure you have it all, and after arrival, to ensure everything is still okay.

:idk:

Why do you need so many wings? 4 DSS wings and OMS and Halcyon wings. That's at least 6 wings and maybe more. Why so many?

Tobin

This is off topic but I'll answer it. I have been using wings since 2000. My first set was an OMS wing. Did well but when I decided to do my Cave 2 with GUE I got a Halycon wing. That was in 2001. This year, after reading many positive reviews and talking to at least one person, I decided to try the DSS wings. I bought 4. 2 doubles, 2 singles. One set for me. One set for my wife. That's the history of my wing purchases. There are no more. As a matter of fact, you and I spoke over the phone about these wings prior to me buying them. While you did not question why I was buying them then, I appreciate you inquiring about them now.

This is off topic but I'll answer it. I have been using wings since 2000. My first set was an OMS wing. Did well but when I decided to do my Cave 2 with GUE I got a Halycon wing. That was in 2001. This year, after reading many positive reviews and talking to at least one person, I decided to try the DSS wings. I bought 4. 2 doubles, 2 singles. One set for me. One set for my wife. That's the history of my wing purchases. There are no more. As a matter of fact, you and I spoke over the phone about these wings prior to me buying them. While you did not question why I was buying them then, I appreciate you inquiring about them now.

So it's fair to say that divers other than you have used at least some of these wings?

Tobin

Pardon - a question, if I may, as I am confused . . . you received your repaired wing, and didn't inflate it and check it out?

And then when you arrived at your location, you didn't check out your gear before you jumped in the water?

I don't understand -- I thought one was to always inspect their gear, and if traveling, before packing to insure you have it all, and after arrival, to ensure everything is still okay.

:idk:

Hello Jax,

I inflated the wing and did not discover a leak prior to the trip. I do not recall whether I fully inflated it or not. When I inflated the wing prior to jumping in the water I did not detect a leak. No hissing sounds. Nothing. While diving, I noticed that the OPV side of the wing would not hold gas. I was able to dive, but dove sideways since the air was shifted to the opposite side while diving horizontally. Once I got home and got into the pool, I still did not notice a leak while the wing was partially inflated. However, when I fully inflated it, there was a large flow of bubbles coming from the wing. That's when I knew there was a leak and sent it in for repair.

So it's fair to say that divers other than you have used at least some of these wings?

Tobin

I am sure divers have used all of the wings I have mentioned. I am not sure of the intent of your question. Are you asking in a general sense or about the wings that I physically have in my possession?

I am sure divers have used all of the wings I have mentioned. I am not sure of the intent of your question. Are you asking in a general sense or about the wings that I physically have in my possession?

You claim to know the exact history of wings divers other than yourself use.

2. You charged me for the cost of a new wing. I have no idea what others charge for the service but I was indeed charged for a service to be provided.

No, we charged you for a new bladder. Bladders are $50, installed and tested. We again offered today to provide and install a new bladder and test your wing for $50. New wings are ~$300-320.

4. You offered to charge me for the cost of a 2nd wing. The 2nd one in 2 months.

Again, you are simply wrong. We offered to replace the bladder. A bladder is a component of a wing, it is not an entire wing. The outer shell, fittings, hoses and power inflator were not damaged and do not require replacement.

To continue to claim we required you to purchase a new wing, and now claim we are trying to sell you another a new wing is entirely false.

The bottom line to me is that as a customer who has purchased a product that has been non functional twice, DSS's response has been that it's my fault. I did not place a heavy back plate on the wing. I did not place anything on the wing other than clothes that were packed with it. If future customers wish to believe
that I did then so be it. But for others who may want a first hand experience as to how DSS provides customer service, then they have one. All I waned was a functioning wing. No more no less. If the bladder that was sent back to me does not accomplish that then I would expect the company to replace it.

Bladders don't spontaneously pinch flat, but sufficient impact will damage the bladder in *any* wing. Any wing we repair is tested over night to verify it holds pressure.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom