Horse Collar BC Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently purchased a real nice Nemrod Hosre Collar BC (circa 73') on ebay. While in real nice shape it does leak through the mouthpiece. Upon removing the lower portion of the mouthpiece I discovered the pin retainer that controls the spring loaded shut off was loose. Before I go any further in my attempt to repair this valve does anyone have experience or advice in the repair of this type of mouthpiece? Are there any schematics around I could obtain for reference? This mouthpiece assembly is similar to one I had on my original Scubapro Horse Collar BC back in 1972.

Thanks for your response.

Bob S

Bob S,

I don't know of schematics of that BC, but they usually are pretty simple devices. I'd just take it apart if possible without breaking anything, and see if a nut to that retainer pin had worked its way loose, or become unhooked, or something else. If so, repair it; you may need to do something with the seal, by putting together a new seating surface. If it is a nut, realize that it would most probably be metric, and may still be inside the BC. Good luck.

SeaRat

PS--I have a scubapro horsecollar, and will take a look this weekend to see if I can add anything to this discussion.

I don't have a nemrod, but I do have an old Seatec oral inflation vest. It leaked from the mouthpiece (it would hiss audibly when the bladder was really full) like yours does. I just took the whole assembly apart, soaked it in 50/50 white vinegar and water for a bit, put come christolube on it, and tightened it back up. It works fine now. I think maybe over time they just come loose. If yours is anything like mine (though obviously different brands), then it should be a push button, a shaft with a spring over it, and a soft plastic stopper on the end with a nut behind it. This sounds convoluted I know, but hopefully it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom