Hose o-ring lubricant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What type of lubricant should you use for o-rings on your hoses for your regulator/gauge assembly when you plan to use up to EAN40?

My understanding is that for air you can use standard silicone grease and for above EAN40, you have use o2 compatible lubricant. But what about for use in the 22-40% o2 range?

Are you referring to the law, common practice, or practical safety?

Are you referring to the law, common practice, or practical safety?
I'm more concerned about practical safety (mine), but would be interested in knowing if common practice is different.

Standard is fine up to 40% O2

officially, anything other than air is best done with O2 safe lubricant
unofficially, the LP side doesn't care at any concentration of O2, but you should always use O2 safe lubricants for the HP side
realistically no one uses lubricant for the hose/port plug o-rings even though they are technically dynamic as @herman has been telling me for over a decade

Whatever you use, just don't mix different lube types, stick with one type or the other. I use Christo lube exclusively and don't use silicone grease at all with regulators and their accessories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom