Hose protector Tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHugger

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently came across 'Innovative Hose Protector installation Tool', but I've not been able to find any reviews. Any users here? Do they work or just gimmick? Recommended? Or any other brands.

Hose protectors are now generally thought to cause more problems than they solve, if you want to use them anyway, it is a good tool, basically a "Tee" handle and a couple of adapters:
IS-RB-0600-2T.jpg

Hot water works OK: it makes the plastic soft enough to deal with.

This is the hose protector tool I use 85BCP, Cutters, Diagonal, Vinyl Grips, 4 7/8", it only works to take them off though. I just haven't seen a need to put them back on.

Hi Thal, thanks for the nudge on hose protectors. Unfortunately, in my situation they are somewhat of a necessary evil (boatmen and students) - currently I have two damaged hoses to replace.

All comments/suggestions noted. Thanks to all for taking the time.

I'm curious, what is that boatman and students do that can be helped by hose protectors?

The one hose protector that is useful is on the Miflex HP. It helps prevent overstress bending at the ends of the hose.

Adam

90% of our dives are done from fishermen canoes. All the gear has to be assembled on shore and loaded laying down on the bottom, sometimes stacked. There is some risk for damage inclusive of stressing the hoses. The boatmen will also push/pull stuff around for space or balance (critical). On arrival at the site, kitting up is done by first pulling your equipment upright then lifting it unto the seat (skinny 12") beside you, turning sideways and squirming into it. All this is done in a sitting position. Sometimes the boatmen will try to help (especially the women :)), but they are also very limited by space. Quite often there is pulling/yanking of equipment when a 2nd stage or instrument console is caught up under other stuff (remember also wgt belts). I've also seen the hoses used to pull the tank upright.
All this is not quite as difficult as the written desciption potrays, and can be executed with no problem as long as due diligence/care is exercised. Understandably, this is not always forthcoming as students are preoccupied and excited with the larger adventure and the boatmen through sheer ignorance.
The damage risk involved in kitting up is also repeated in unloading, maybe even more so, as the gear is then in an even more disorderly condition.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom