Hose retainers. Where and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To OP: I prefer using very small zipties for any reg that could be donated. That way when needed I can rip it off a dring.

The Dive Gear Express retainer is designed to break away if need be.

Regs wont be clipped off when diving but in between dives. As of now I don’t plan on using a retainer on my octo and will just continue using the bungee.

Thanks for all the replies!

Dive on,
Nick

The Dive Gear Express retainer is designed to break away if need be.

I know, I bought them many years ago but got rid of them. You can break them, but it's not quick, easy, or consistent. A small ziptie give the same response rapidly every single time. Those DGE ones stretch alot before breaking and also slide down the hose. So if you're pulling up and ripping at the same time, it'll slide before it pops. Not good enough if the sudden need to offer the long hose arises.

To OP: I prefer using very small zipties for any reg that could be donated. That way when needed I can rip it off a dring. Only negative is sometimes you bump it wrong and lose your ziptie and potentially the snapbolt, though it rarely happens.
I'm trying to imagine an out-of-air diver trying to break a ziptie. Do they break that easily?

I use something like this for securing my octo...breaks away easily when tugged: Kraton Octo Holder

I don't clip off my primary during an SI or boat rides but probably should.

I use something like this for securing my octo...breaks away easily when tugged: Kraton Octo Holder

For me I use a loop of bungee cord on my waist strap and is very easy to pull off. But If I route it wrong during pre-dive it will come undone underwater.
E4AFDF75-9AFE-4611-BFE2-76E082A297AC.jpeg

Maybe a dumb question...but how do you attach the two ends of the bungee together?

I forget what knot I used but I just tied it together and then used a lighter to melt the ends as to not let it unthread later. Can post a pic later but currently at work

Edit: I just remembered it was a square knot. I pulled on it really hard and it wouldn’t pop so I was satisfied

I forget what knot I used but I just tied it together and then used a lighter to melt the ends as to not let it unthread later. Can post a pic later but currently at work

Edit: I just remembered it was a square knot. I pulled on it really hard and it wouldn’t pop so I was satisfied
Thanks! Would love a picture when you can.

Having something dangling from my regulator would drive me nuts.

For me I use a loop of bungee cord on my waist strap and is very easy to pull off. But If I route it wrong during pre-dive it will come undone underwater. View attachment 467482
You may want to change the DIR Practitioner below your user name. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom