• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Hose retainers. Where and why?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Nick Steele, Jul 3, 2018.

1. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I think you are looking at this wrong. If their way doesn't work for you, you don't need to join them. They as a group decided to do things a way, not necessary the way for everyone, not even necessary a better way for everyone. It is just a way which is a conclusion of their experience from their type of diving. No dogma here, just a set of rule for themselves. It is much like PADI requires a snorkel. GUE just has a more comprehensive of frame work.

It is much like Victoria Secret only hire female models. If you are a male, you just don't join, right?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Colliam7 and Lorenzoid like this.
  2. eelnoraa

I would say this, if you are intended to take some GUE class in future, don't even bother with this kind of hose retainer. Just use cave line to tight the bolt snap there. There are plenty of video on youtube showing how to do it. Spend the money to get the proper hose length now. Also I would highly suggest the old school rubber hose instead of the braided hose.

EireDiver606 and dflaher like this.
  3. dflaher

dflaher Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    What are the specific reasons behind your recommending rubber hose over braided?

4. eelnoraa

Braided hose will give out without any sign of warming. With rubber, the indication is usually very clear. I have had 2 braided hose gone bad with zero sign. And I don't think braid is much more flexible after pressurized.

dflaher likes this.
  5. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It's a function of the board, that if you join to that forum (needed to post) then you get teh DIR Practitioner label. Wanted or not.

A couple of years ago I had the same label for the same reason, and someone criticised me for being DIR - I got the label removed.

In short if anyone joins that sub forum they automatically get that title whether they want it or not

HeliMech likes this.
  6. Pkishino

Pkishino Instructor, Scuba

Additionally the braided hoses are very floaty and tend to get annoying quite quickly . I switched immediately after starting to drills etc when I noticed how the miflex hose just didn't do what I wanted. Rubber is heavier but much smoother and follows nicely. I still use miflex on my inflator, backup, drysuit and spg though.. Just for longhose I wouldn't recommend it

EireDiver606, dflaher and Lorenzoid like this.
  7. seeker242

seeker242 DIR Practitioner

FWIW, there is a local group of GUE divers here in South FL. And one of them is our local GUE instructor. :) She can tell you exactly how to set up all your gear. We do group dives every so often and I'm sure you would be welcome to join. :)

8. zimm17

zimm17 Angel Fish

So how do I get rid of the DIR label? I use a hogarthian rig, but I don't dive DIR rules. The gas math makes my head hurt and I'd rather use my dive computer on a rec dive.

HeliMech likes this.
  9. Nick Steele

Nick Steele DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    You have to leave the group. Click join user groups and leave the DIR one and it will go away

10. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

Click your name in the top right and then click on "personal details" and select a custom title.
    sbhelp.png

Nick Steele likes this.