Hose softness: Halcyon vs. TDL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In a previous thread someone said this about hoses:

"Which ever size you choose, consider one of the Halcyon hoses. They are a little more expensive than some of the others but they are a lot softer making the loop around your neck more comfortable."

I'm considering this package from Tech Diving Limited for my singles rig, but I'd like to know how those hoses compare with the Halcyon hoses in softness?

Second question: Is it possible (and cheaper) to have my current, standard length HP and LP hoses shortened to 24" and 22", respectively, rather than buying new ones?

I was recently given a set of new Halcyon hoses for my birthday. I'm quite happy with them, but can't say they felt any "softer" than other brands of hoses I've used. As far as I can tell, unless specifically asked Halcyon doesn't use strain relief boots, or swivel fittings on the 1st stage end if that matters to you.

Personally I've found that a slight adjustment in how much hose you tuck into your belt (if you do this) can really make a difference in comfort around the neck as well as jaw fatigue.

In regards to shortening the hoses you have now, you're probably better off just buying new ones. A few months ago I posted a question in the "Do it yourself" forum about buying a bulk reel of LP hose, cutting each hose to exactly the length I wanted, and crimping on the appropriate fittings. I got answers back ranging from "I do it all the time" to a lot of "You're going to die..." sorts of posts. Eventually I gave up the search and ended up with the Halcyon hoses I mentioned above.

I have no experience with TDL so I can't offer anything there.

Hope this helps,
e.a.e.

Thanks for the info.

About the shortening of hoses, I read the thread you mentioned, and thought that if some members here shorten their own hoses, then some dive ops should have the equipment and expertise to do it as well. I imagine it wouldn't cost too much because I presume it's a very short procedure (so cost of labor shouldn't be too much) and cost of the fittings shouldn't be too bad either. I'd prefer that option because all the hose kits I've seen for sale are for a 5-7' and 22" LP hoses and 24" HP hose and I can't believe those can fit every single diver perfectly. For example, I imagine a 24" spg hose would be too long for a midget diver and too short for 7' tall diver. I'd prefer personalized hose lengths.

1) I own both Halcyon and TDL hoses and I can't tell the difference.

2) Possible, maybe, if you find someone with the equipment. Cheaper? Doubtful.

I've always been afraid of the soft hosed because i worry about hoses exploding
(had it happen, very un-cool)

Joel isn't a stupid shop monkey. He know what he is selling as an experienced tech diver. I don't think there is a difference between Halcyon and TDL hoses. One good thing (as you mentioned already) is that TDL has all different lengths of hose as you wish.

Softness??? That's a joke, right? Then again, the Lovely Young Kat sez I'm sometimes "insensitive" :)
Buy new hoses. You want spares in your kit anyway.
Rick

hoosier:
Joel isn't a stupid shop monkey. He know what he is selling as an experienced tech diver. I don't think there is a difference between Halcyon and TDL hoses. One good thing (as you mentioned already) is that TDL has all different lengths of hose as you wish.

And if TDL doesn't have the exact size you want listed, just PM Joel. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to get you exactly what you want. And spare hoses, even if they're not the same length, always come in handy. I've got at least 2 dozen sitting around and usually bring a few with. They've saved me from having to miss a few dives.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom