Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katefu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to attempt underwater photography with my older camera - please post pics and price if you have housing for this camera body. Thanks in advance!

Looking to attempt underwater photography with my older camera - please post pics and price if you have housing for this camera body. Thanks in advance!

I have a Nauticam Housing for a T3i that I just replaced with a 7d housing. I can also sell a T3i camera body and even a Tokina 10-17 lens. You would still need to purchase a port or ports, arms and strobes to make a usable package. Housing alone about $750, with lens $1,100, whole package $1,300. You will have to spend about $2K (new prices) more to make a complete package, although ports, arms, lenses and strobes will migrate to any new rig you buy

The T3i is pretty good for wide angle, but autofocus is challenging on macro. I finally gave up and just used manual focus for macro. Frankly, if I were in your position, I don't know how much money I would spend on older technology like the T3i.

Tom

I have a Nauticam Housing for a T3i that I just replaced with a 7d housing. I can also sell a T3i camera body and even a Tokina 10-17 lens. You would still need to purchase a port or ports, arms and strobes to make a usable package. Housing alone about $750, with lens $1,100, whole package $1,300. You will have to spend about $2K (new prices) more to make a complete package, although ports, arms, lenses and strobes will migrate to any new rig you buy

The T3i is pretty good for wide angle, but autofocus is challenging on macro. I finally gave up and just used manual focus for macro. Frankly, if I were in your position, I don't know how much money I would spend on older technology like the T3i.

Tom

I hear ya, Tom. I've gone back and forth on this very thing - investing in outdated technology. Housing is expensive no matter what camera I use, but I already have the t3i AND I've never taken underwater pictures. I either wait for someone to sell an entire working package, or try to find a way to use what I already have without spending $4k on a new camera body/lenses without knowing if I'll be good at it. Any suggestions?

I should mention that the T3i housing did flood once about 4 years ago. Wire from moisture sensor was long enough to overlap o-ring. I have the housing professionally serviced and the wire removed, but did not bother replacing the moisture sensor. The camera body was ruined; I am selling a replacement body I purchased after flooding the rig, but the Tokina went back to the factory for service and repair and seems as good as new. I have used both extensively for years with no further issues.

Tom

Where will you be diving? How experienced a diver are you? How experienced a photographer? What do you want to photograph underwater?

Tom

Where will you be diving? How experienced a diver are you? How experienced a photographer? What do you want to photograph underwater?

Tom

We'll be diving in Utila. I'm very new to both diving and photography. I want to photograph people. I'd like to start while I'm still living in St. Louis and already have done a little work with a professional wedding photographer - but nothing underwater yet. This photo is not my work, but this is me. This is what I want to be able to do for others.

12604799_10153882201934089_4401262129875669284_o.jpg

Others here may have a different opinion, but I don't usually recommend a new diver start off with a DSLR. It's a lot to handle when you are still working on basic diving skills. What you are trying to do does not require a high end camera, any decent compact that shoots raw format should do the trick and be a lot easier to handle. I would go that way and spend money on strobes.

On the other hand, the items are available and it's a relatively cheap way to start out with a DSLR. You may not want the Tokina as it is a fish-eye lens and the distortion is significant. The T3i will function well for the kind of photography you are interested in.

Tom

As a new digital UW photo person, with my prior experience in 35mm land stuff and playing around with an old Sea and Sea unit a few years ago, I have to say that starting off with a DSLR was the best move I could have made.
I use a Canon SL1 in an ikelite housing. Body is relatively inexpensive but it is light years from my prior photo experience. Yet it's easy to use. I bought two strobes one at first and one later used and started with loc line arms. Then moved to ultralight arms.
You can find the single strobe rig new for 1500 - 2000 if you look around and the SL1 with the 18-55 kit lens is around 400. below are some shots I have done with it so far.
gilboa51416 031.JPG trim adjusted..jpg trout1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom