How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone ever passed Rescue without more than 50 dives? If so then have to question the certification standards!

$69 to PADI -- that really is money for old rope.
I did with 26 dives. At that time AOW was required and 20 dives. I applaud the elimination of these (only Adventure Diver now required). The knowledge in the Rescue course is what's important, not that you're a top notch diver when doing all the skills/scenarios (I was great on some, not so great on others). I will probably never wind up using these skills as I dive mosly solo, but I have them (and had them to a degree after the 26 dives).

Let me google that some more for you.

Master Scuba Diver – Liamis Dive Centre
Fees:

• PADI Master Scuba Diver application fee: 55,20 € payable direct to PADI (by credit card), which accompanies your application form
  • This fee includes a quarterly subscription to The Undersea Journal.
  • Once your application has been reviewed and processed by PADI, you’ll receive a PADI Master Scuba Diver certification card, wall certificate and emblem.

Again, whether that is worth it is up to you.
Did they add getting the Undersea Journal? That used to be just for PADI pros. I got MSD in 2007 and didn't get that until I got DM 4 years later.

My point (which I may have not been clear) is that the DiveMaster is a recognised qualification and needs Rescue as a prerequisite and teaches you many new skills beyond Rescue.

Master Scuba Diver is trading on the "DiveMaster" name; kind of a brand extension. It's a standard marketing/sales trick implying that Master Scuba Diver is like a DiveMaster, without explicitly saying so.
I don't really think so. NAUI does the same thing. No one I've run into has ever been unclear of the distinction, nor was I when I first took PADI MSD. OTOH, it could actually be a marketing trick in the sense that there are so many gullible people out there.

Solo and rescue are both about anticipation, prevention, and recovery from incidents. Rescue is with others. Solo is with no one else there to help. So, to me, Solo covers more than Rescue, for the diver themself. Thus Solo trumps Padi MSD. Not that you should not take Rescue, but for the diver themself Solo covers more.
(ETA: Well, except for the bandaging yourself up part of EFR that is a prerequisite of rescue.)

Cavern has a few problem-solving drills and emphasis on good trim and control, applicable anywhere. Which MSD does not add.
Cavern Diver | PADI:
"You'll complete four scuba dives with the first focused on line handling, reel use and emergency procedures outside a cavern; and the next three dives put your new skills to use inside a cavern. You'll also learn about:
  • Other specialized equipment for cavern diving, such as lights and redundant breathing systems.
  • Avoiding disorientation and anti-silting techniques.
  • Dive planning, including depth and distance limits and air management for cavern diving.
"
Also a good argument for trumping Padi MSD aside from the 50 dives requirement.
From what I've read that many have said, it seems the Cavern course is one that people could benefit greatly from even if they never enter a cavern or intend to progress to Cave Diver. I learned to handle reel & line on the Wreck course and we did some penetration. But I never intend to penetrate. So reel skills don't necessarily enter the cert. "rankings" unless you do those kind of dives. A Cavern Diver or even Cave Diver may have no experience at all drift diving. Lights and redundant breathing systems are taught on other courses (Wreck, Deep). Disorientation?--lots on that in UW Nav course. Anti silting (finning, sculling, buoyancy stuff I presume)-- great for in a cavern, but probably should be part of every diver's tool box (maybe not specific anti-silting in caverns/caves).

Anyway, not disagreeing here with you, just saying it depends on how you look at these courses and skills when trying to "rate" one higher than another.

That was @Peter Guy

CEEA059C-FB0C-403E-99C3-7EA3A04D614E.png

Why are you such an ass? It explicitly states that you have OW. AOW, Rescue, 5 specialties, and at least 50 dives. Only Self Reliant Diver, with AOW and 100 dives might trump it. Neither certifies for nitrox.

Edit: I posted while @MichaelMc was posting
Agree. Maybe we should start a thread on MSD....Better yet, PADI MSD vs. NAUI MSD.......

A Cavern Diver or even Cave Diver may have no experience at all drift diving.

It is a pretty rare cave diver that doesn't do other diving, it may not be super common (like I got six months or more between ocean dives) but for most it happens.

Once it warms up enough to switch to a rash guard, I am looking to bomb around Key Largo and Jupiter for some rec diving.

It is a pretty rare cave diver that doesn't do other diving, it may not be super common (like I got six months or more between ocean dives) but for most it happens.

Once it warms up enough to switch to a rash guard, I am looking to bomb around Key Largo and Jupiter for some rec diving.

All the chest thumping cave divers say that cave diving is the hardest diving in the world. Every time I go to the ocean, that notion, makes me laugh.

Cave diving is so easy. I don’t have to deal with 20 divers on a boat, 5’ seas, a ripping current, or a ladder trying to bash my teeth in when you add it all together. Oh, and the water tastes funny and you have to rinse all your gear. Wtf!?!?

I always love watching the cave divers barf all over the boat and cry that water is salty.

I always love watching the cave divers barf all over the boat and cry that water is salty.

I’ve always called myself a wreck diver that happens to dive in caves. But I have to say: a 30 foot walk on firm ground to enter a nice, calm, crystal clear freshwater spring is way better then an hour of nausea and stingy eye water...

At least our Great Lakes wrecks don’t have saltwater — it’s just 40 degree colder... :/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom