How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i just keep all my C-cards in one of those accordion wallet inserts, and when i show up i just unroll it in a dramatic fashion, like a kings herald reading a scroll

View attachment 643842
The last time I spoke to someone at PADI, I commented that it would be an improvement if they could put multiple certs on a single card. She explained to me that it was not done that way, but she could send me as many cards as I wanted, or I could just use the electronic system. I asked if they might consider offering multiple certs on a single card in the future & commented that I would be willing to pay extra for it. She again explained that it is not done that way & gave the same speech again. I then explained that I was requesting something new, that they might want to consider selling at a higher price. I got the same speech again. I gave up.

How do you know if someone’s a pilot?

don’t worry. They’ll tell you.
What's the difference between a pilot & God?

God doesn't think he's a pilot.

What's the difference between a dive master and God?

Yea, you got it. :wink:

Why? If the majority of recreational deep dives offered by dive operators to people showing AOW are done safely, then what's the point in asking for certs or courses above that? If people are killing mosquitos with fly swatters why ask if they own elephant guns! :wink:

I always offer my master diver cert to boat operators because that is the highest cert I have and I'm proud of it. On one trip that was a negative designation for me. As I was assembling my equipment on the boat before departure, the captain said "Where is my master diver?" I raised my hand. The captain buddyed me up with a newbie who had less than a month of diving. Our dive lasted 15 minutes and I had 1900 psi left in my tank! It was probably a great comfort to the crew that I was paired with such a novice diver.
What if the dive is at 35meters? You might be AOW or Master Diver and not deep certified which limit your max depth to 30 and not 40 meters.

What if the dive is at 35meters? You might be AOW or Master Diver and not deep certified which limit your max depth to 30 and not 40 meters.

IME very few operators care about the deep cert. And the limits are more like guidelines really.

The last time I spoke to someone at PADI, I commented that it would be an improvement if they could put multiple certs on a single card. She explained to me that it was not done that way, but she could send me as many cards as I wanted, or I could just use the electronic system. I asked if they might consider offering multiple certs on a single card in the future & commented that I would be willing to pay extra for it. She again explained that it is not done that way & gave the same speech again. I then explained that I was requesting something new, that they might want to consider selling at a higher price. I got the same speech again. I gave up.

I just got my “token” PADI cert - ice diver. All my other recreational certs are from SDI. Anyway, the front of the card gives all of your info, but not what the damned cert is for. You have to flip it over for that info. SDI/TDI at least puts everything on the front of the card.

IME very few operators care about the deep cert. And the limits are more like guidelines really.
We have had a discussion here in the past about legal issues. If you are only certified for 30 meters and you encounter an issue on a dive planned at 35, I am pretty sure that the shop owner could get into trouble. Especially in the US.

I just got my “token” PADI cert - ice diver. All my other recreational certs are from SDI. Anyway, the front of the card gives all of your info, but not what the damned cert is for. You have to flip it over for that info. SDI/TDI at least puts everything on the front of the card.

SDI/TDI also makes all certifications readily available and downloadable in electronic form. These days that is 100% how I show a certification when asked.

I don't mind flipping my cards over. Then again, I don't like our new car that locks itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom