how are quarries filled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rimp:
In BC I dive in an ocean teaming with more life than i can ever hope to have the pleasure to explore, and oceans deeper than I could ever hope to go..

It seems hard to believe that people would want to dive in a man made pit full of rain water.

Why do you dive in there? What is the purpose of it? Is there anything in there besides water and mud?

Most quarries have tons of fish...and they're real fish too...not like the funny looking things you see in the ocean. LOL

Many quarries have very scenic walls and other structure.

We even find some fairlyy unusual life like fresh water jellies and sponge.

Plus it's diving and socializing with other divers.

bubble blower:
Not real sure where to post this...I was wondering how quarries get filled with water. Is it from digging until water is hit and the quarry fills or is this a process done by man after the mining is done? Just curious.
Thanks for any insight.

It involves a boy with pretensions to be a wizard, and a magic wand, and hundreds of animated broomsticks and buckets.

Rimp:
In BC I dive in an ocean teaming with more life than i can ever hope to have the pleasure to explore, and oceans deeper than I could ever hope to go..

It seems hard to believe that people would want to dive in a man made pit full of rain water.

Why do you dive in there? What is the purpose of it? Is there anything in there besides water and mud?

You should never close your mind to diving in what may appear to be odd places. Oceans are great, so are the Great Lakes, Florida's Springs. The many rivers found in North America. many quarries have a lot of history within them

bubble blower:
Not real sure where to post this...I was wondering how quarries get filled with water. Is it from digging until water is hit and the quarry fills or is this a process done by man after the mining is done? Just curious.
Thanks for any insight.
I think it's more fun to get a bunch of people together at night, grab some fire wood (picnic tables will work in a pinch), a car with a good sound system and of course a good selection of music, :bang: Pink Floyd, Lenny, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Company, etc. (tastes vary) and a whole bunch of :beer: BEER, by the time morning comes the quarry should be just about full. :wave-smil If not, repeat the above until it is. :banana:

Rimp:

Where I got certified, Buffalo, NY, we had Lake Erie, the Niagara River or a quarry in Canada to dive in. The two "open water" sources were good but for training the 35' depth of the quarry was great.
The quarry had no current, NO boats in the section we used and a nice thermocline usually at 17 feet. It was a very good practice facility. I miss that place and the relaxing drive back and forth.

PS the only mud was where we dripped on the grass. The bottom was rock.

Rimp:

When you live 12 hours from the sea a mud hole beats not diving.

Joe

Ben_ca:
They are filled by diver's doing No 1.....

Just Think....

Have you ever seen a toilet arounnd the quarry?

LOL
Yes I have. The quarry we used was part of a campground/ summer cottage/get away place.

rimp
my boy you need to explore what diveing has to offer ,just because you live in the no.1 dive place in north america .does not mean there are not cool dive spots.here in alberta we dive the old dam site at lake minnie****a and if you have a boat the old town site. in fla the caverns and caves are real fun .snorkeling with manatee's in crystral river ,fla what a hoot the dept was only 15' but those manatee's they would come up to you and want to be petted.

You know you are a Midwest Muck Diver when you drive around to working quarries and ask "Finished Yet? How about a ledge there and a nice wall over here?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom