How are things in the Solomons???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silvertip57

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Anybody out there been to the Solomons since the Tsunami and earthquake?? I am slated to do a trip with the Bilikiki in September and want to find out what kind of conditions we might expect.
There are reports that things are not good but no good idea of how extensive the damage to the reef systems is. I would appreciate any word from the membership.

Thanks Silvertip

I only know what I've read, it doesn't look good for the Solomons as the article I read had pictures. The photos showed areas of the shallow reef all exposed from the earth thrusting the reef and shore about 8 feet in the air. The article stated that the reefs that divers come to see is trashed. The article stated that the islanders are confused as the shoreline has changed and everyone is afraid to go near the shore. This isn't saying everything or if one island is worse than another. Perhaps you could call a dive shop located there to find out if they are able to dive.

Hey guys - Bilikiki doesn't get up around Gizo where the damage was. The Floridas, Russells & Marovo areas are fine. Uepi was not damaged at all and divers were back in the water by the afternoon, same day as the earthquake.

Just because a county has an earhtquake/tsunami, don't assume that every reef for hundreds of miles is gone

cheers'

Carol

Back
Top Bottom