How are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I WAS okay. Got laid off today - second time in almost a year. Not enough work for two (very small company). The expected business increase didn’t happen. Sort of okay with it, though. There were many signs it was NOT a good fit. It took it in August after having been laid off late LAST March, due to covid. Sigh.

Had a good interview a week ago, though. I’d already been looking a bit. Let them known
I’m now immediately available and should hear more this week.

That sucks, Marie, I'm sorry.
I'm glad you were already looking elsewhere! Hope they take you on quickly

I've actually been fortunate to take two dive trips this past year - Cozumel and Jupiter. Met a really nice member of SB on the latter trip.

But, this has been the darkest year for me mentally. Getting older and just thinking how completely out of whack things are in so many different aspects of life has been deeply depressing.

On a brighter note, I got banned from a SB thread for the first time. So, I have that going for me!! (It was worth it.)

I've actually been fortunate to take two dive trips this past year - Cozumel and Jupiter. Met a really nice member of SB on the latter trip.

But, this has been the darkest year for me mentally. Getting older and just thinking how completely out of whack things are in so many different aspects of life has been deeply depressing.

On a brighter note, I got banned from a SB thread for the first time. So, I have that going for me!! (It was worth it.)

Really? You must have been really naughty. Now I have to go see.

Really? You must have been really naughty. Now I have to go see.

Please do, and let me know. How the arrogant prick was not banned is beyond me. Oh well...

Have you considered going out on your own?

No. It’s quite complicated to set up and I’ve never had the desire to.

What if you become independent and can be hired by any company that is set up as a contractor rather than employee? You can work remotely, yes? Ergo, you should be able to work for any company no matter where. Could you not get on contracts across the country and be on call, so to speak? Maternity fill in, covid illness fill in, short term here and there, and so on?

Don't just automatically say no in response. Think it over, turn the idea upside down, sideways, look at it from a distance and close up. Heehee

Maybe there's another way to skin a cat

What if you become independent and can be hired by any company that is set up as a contractor rather than employee? You can work remotely, yes? Ergo, you should be able to work for any company no matter where. Could you not get on contracts across the country and be on call, so to speak? Maternity fill in, covid illness fill in, short term here and there, and so on?

Don't just automatically say no in response. Think it over, turn the idea upside down, sideways, look at it from a distance and close up. Heehee

Maybe there's another way to skin a cat

You’d have to have an enormous amount of contacts for that to work, but that sort of thing also doesn’t exist in my industry. Someone is out for a long time for medical reasons? Their work load is distributed amongst the rest of the staff. Plus, there was a huge reluctance for people to work remotely. Covid pushed many of them into it.

Had a very good in person interview today. I've got the job unofficially. Just waiting for offer letter this afternoon. Nice salary bump, too. Start Monday. Unfortunately, the closest dive shop won't overfill my LP tanks at all! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom