How best not to lose my new knife ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Options that might work.

First, like dumpsterDiver said
Tie a shock cord loop on the lanyard handle and loop the resulting loop over the sheath of your knife when not in use. The tension will make sure that the knife doesn't come out until you slip your hand throught he loop and pull out your knife. The benefit to this is that your hand is immedietly on the knife and attached through the lanyard. So no fumbling to unhook the lanyard from your BC then unhook the knife etc when you're in an entangled situation.

For this you'll have to keep the sheath braced on something like your leg or attached to the shoulder strap (not the excess that will flop loosely)

Second option is to make your own sheath out of 2in nylon webbing. Fold a piece of webbing as a Z, leaving one side shorter. Stitch it up through all layers in a U shape so your get a sheath with a belt loop. This creates a friction sheath which is the best type of sheath I've used. The only issue would be if your knife fits it well. I'm unsure of the width of your knife handle. But depending, this option might not be best. You'd also need an industrial sewing machine or a cobbler (shoe maker/repair-er) who can follow directions. (I've had mixed luck in that department)

For this sheath to work, you need to aim at making the belt loop 2 in, and attaching it to any 2 in webbing. It isn't so secure when attached to your leg.

2 Options that might work.

First, like dumpsterDiver said
Tie a shock cord loop on the lanyard handle and loop the resulting loop over the sheath of your knife when not in use. The tension will make sure that the knife doesn't come out until you slip your hand throught he loop and pull out your knife. The benefit to this is that your hand is immedietly on the knife and attached through the lanyard. So no fumbling to unhook the lanyard from your BC then unhook the knife etc when you're in an entangled situation.

For this you'll have to keep the sheath braced on something like your leg or attached to the shoulder strap (not the excess that will flop loosely)

Second option is to make your own sheath out of 2in nylon webbing. Fold a piece of webbing as a Z, leaving one side shorter. Stitch it up through all layers in a U shape so your get a sheath with a belt loop. This creates a friction sheath which is the best type of sheath I've used. The only issue would be if your knife fits it well. I'm unsure of the width of your knife handle. But depending, this option might not be best. You'd also need an industrial sewing machine or a cobbler (shoe maker/repair-er) who can follow directions. (I've had mixed luck in that department)

For this sheath to work, you need to aim at making the belt loop 2 in, and attaching it to any 2 in webbing. It isn't so secure when attached to your leg.

There is no reason why you can not make a friction sheath AND use the bungi material. That is what I do, however I wear the knife on the leg and make the sheath from melted pvc pipe,

Don't dive with sea lions who need a dive knife! One of my dive partners had one ripped-off by a sea lion last weekend.

-AZTinman

From experience, I can say that a good way not to lose a dive knife is not to inadvertently leave it in your carry-on bag as you go through airport security.

Back
Top Bottom