How big of a problem is this? (Cracking - possibly during transport)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just got a used Ikelite 7D housing with two ports sent to me by mail and when I opened the package I found the housing and canon 100mm macro flat port to be in the condition I expected - as good as new.
However the tokina 12-24mm/canon 17-40mm dome port 5503.51 to have some cracking to it.
It does however not run all the way through the port, but Im kinda worried that it may not be withstanding pressure as well as it should either.
I can feel the crack on the inside of the port, but on the outside its like they dont exist, so its definetly only cracked partially.

IMG_4045-edit.jpg
IMG_4046-edit.jpg
Should I go for a deep dive with an empty housing to see if the port "implode" or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one?
How well would the TTL circuitry handle a flooded housing/"imploded" port?

P.S.: I have not yet received an answer from the person who shipped the housing and ports on wether its been used in this condition and if it was in this state when he sent it or it has been damaged during transport (in the latter case its insured).

Easy - don't dive it with that port. Replacing the TTL electronics, which you will likely have to do if you are in salt water, will be more than the cost of the port.

I have access to plenty deep freshwater, but given you think saltwater will destroy the TTL circuitry I take it you think it wont withstand a bad flood and I dont wanna put freshwater in it anymore than I wanna put saltwater in it..

Just FYI - I flooded my housing - managed to get it out of the water with less than a cup of water in it and only slight contact with the TTL - ruined it and it had to be replaced.

On the crack leaking front, it probably would not leak or implode. But comparing the cost of a new port with the cost of a new camera, lens, and rebuilding the TTL I would not take the chance. Did dive a number of dives with a cracked 105 port when on a liveaboard with no consequences, but replaced it as soon as I got home for exactly that reason.

Thats what Im thinking as well - should it collapse or crack so that it floods a $1500 camera, the TTL circutry and a $1500 lens it gets.. uncool :p

Don't dive with it, def get a new one. It will be a lot cheaper buying a new one then repacing all of the electronics.

I just got a used Ikelite 7D housing with two ports sent to me by mail and when I opened the package I found the housing and canon 100mm macro flat port to be in the condition I expected - as good as new.
However the tokina 12-24mm/canon 17-40mm dome port 5503.51 to have some cracking to it.
It does however not run all the way through the port, but Im kinda worried that it may not be withstanding pressure as well as it should either.
I can feel the crack on the inside of the port, but on the outside its like they dont exist, so its definetly only cracked partially.

View attachment 140011
View attachment 140012
Should I go for a deep dive with an empty housing to see if the port "implode" or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one?
How well would the TTL circuitry handle a flooded housing/"imploded" port?

P.S.: I have not yet received an answer from the person who shipped the housing and ports on wether its been used in this condition and if it was in this state when he sent it or it has been damaged during transport (in the latter case its insured).

DO NOT dive with this port. I note crazing, cracking, and a questionable glue joint. This port should be replaced.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Back
Top Bottom