How can an author ban critique?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman, going back to your original post (because the original thread is unavailable) it seems as though Pete decided to auto-censor SB for any references to the author's work (and its his board and I wholly support his right to do exactly that) based on her threats of a lawsuit. So its not at issue that an author can ban critique; but the author seems to be able to pissoff the guy who can.

Still, its disturbing that someone with your apparent background would think its OK to distill another persons work to recreate "your" version and still think its not derivative. If you want to publish (using whatever media) a work similar to the authors, do your own project of your own design and then it'll be your own work.

There have been several Bonaire shore dive books written over the years -- some expensive and some not. BSDME has a fairly long history (first written By Jessie Armacost, if I recall correctly) and, IMHO, is the best. Whenever a new version has come out, I have purchased it. Sometimes the updates were worth it but I always felt that supporting the project was of value as well. (And I dove several times in Bonaire when there was not really much of a guide at all and I got along just fine).

I understand Susan's issue -- it can be pretty scary to see someone taking your pride and joy and changing it -- and even displaying what it would look like. And calling it a "divemaster edition." It is her intellectual property and, likely, a source of income and a great investment of time. The internet is a brave new world and, as an author, all you used to have to worry about was the photocopy machine. If it were published on the internet, most of the monetary value of the product would go poof. (A few people would have not known it was available on-line and maight be it in a LDS). And that genie never goes back into the bottle.

That said, this was NOT the case here. CJ made clear (early and often) that this was a project he was doing for his personal use. He further made clear he had bought (and valued) the original book. CJ made clear that he had no intent of sharing anything that was not his intellectual property. (Note: the format of BSDME is probably also a protected element although Susan has not asserted that). Further, he stated he would be happy if Susan incorporated some of his concepts in a future edition. Whether he has a legal right to do so, IMHO Susan should have been fine with the effort provided that: a) it is for his use only; b) he never distributes it in any way -- not to friends, not in person, etc, -- without an contract in place; c) he add a note at the bottom of each page stating that the text is the property of Susan.

As to the future, in terms of here, it is clearly the call of NetDoc. I hope Susan figures a way out of the box she is in at this point.

Personally, I would hate to see BSDME go away. I tell every diver new to Bonaire to buy their own copy. A book just feels good in the hand and travels well. You can add stuff in the margins. I think Jessie and Susan have done a nice job with it. And it is not easy to stay up to date with all of the minor changes from time to time (entries, in particular, change).

That said, much of the material in any guidebook is factual and that makes it much harder to protect. All it would take is a very dedicated group of divers, a digital camera, and a wiki site to record their observations...

Mossman, going back to your original post (because the original thread is unavailable) i SNIP

It is still available - or is there another one that is missing

Did anyone try the cookie recipe? If Net Doc follows thru with his threat, we'll lose that when the original thread disappears. That is the only value added in all of this.

Still, its disturbing that someone with your apparent background would think its OK to distill another persons work to recreate "your" version and still think its not derivative. If you want to publish (using whatever media) a work similar to the authors, do your own project of your own design and then it'll be your own work.
I don't know that it is OK. It would depend on the specifics. That's what lawyers are for, to spend lots of money on to determine whether it would be OK and have someone to blame if it turns out not to be OK. If you want to do this sort of thing, I suggest you contact a good lawyer.

Still, were I to do it, it would be a project of my own design. A very pretty design, in fact. It's only the unprotected facts and ideas that I would "borrow" so as not to waste time by reinventing the wheel.

Did anyone try the cookie recipe? If Net Doc follows thru with his threat, we'll lose that when the original thread disappears. That is the only value added in all of this.
Wouldn't that be making a derivative work from the recipe, by embodying the same concepts into a different tangible form of expression, i.e. cookie dough? I certainly don't want to risk getting sued just for baking a darn cookie, no matter how good it might be. Besides, I'm on a diet.

Don, thanks for posting this. Based on item 4, you (and I) have exceeded the fair use boundaries numerous times by reproducing newspaper articles in their entirety for informational use, rather than for critique. While I always cite and link to the source, in the future I will only reproduce small extracts from articles here on the ScubaBoard.

You are responsible for ~17% of this useless thread. Coincidence?

If Net Doc follows thru with his threat,
No threats were made or implied. I simply don't understand her request, and it appears that the only way to meet it would be to cease talking about her book lest we spoil the dramatic ending. :D
Did anyone try the cookie recipe? we'll lose that when the original thread disappears. That is the only value added in all of this.
I am sure that we can get CJ to post this in the Food forum! :D

Back
Top Bottom