How Can I Try a BP/W Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently switched from a cushy BC (Scubapro Knighthawk) to a BP/W setup. Tobin was very helpful in getting me into the right equipment. We went with a SS plate and HOG harness, which is what he recommended starting with. After a week of diving (about 24 dives), and a few config changes, I realized that my anatomy and the hog config weren't a perfect match... cutting in at my neck, shoulders, and obliques. I didn't feel the backplate at all underwater... it was the webbing that was the problem. Rather than give up all together, I switched to a Transplate harness. The attachment points are a bit different and the straps remain closer to my sternum; I'm happy with the results. The setup is still very streamlined, highly adjustable, and quite comfortable (minimal pad at the shoulders, so no real positive bouyancy). The modularity of the BP/W is wonderful, as is the efficiency and reduced drag. Too many people judge the comfort out of the water... it's better to try it diving. I find that it has enabled me to be an even more efficient diver.

So....shortly after starting this thread I was laid off. Long story short, I was only out of work for about 2 months, but it took some time before i was able to consider a purchase such as this. Well, I'm happy to say that today I placed my order for a medium SS backplate with Torus 17 wing. I spoke with Tobin for about 20 minutes and it was very informative and helpful. His knowledge of the science of buoyancy is probably second to none. In about a week or so I should have a new DSS BP/W at my doorstep. For those thinking about a DSS setup, but still have questions, call Tobin. During our entire conversation there was absolutely no pressure to buy anything. It was just two divers sharing a conversation about BC's, BP/W's and buoyancy. Tobin was not selling, he was teaching.

Tobin was not selling, he was teaching.

That's the Tobin George I know!

congrats!! I was wondering why someone was chiming in on an old thread. You won't be sorry.

I got one. My wife tried it and she got one. I switched for more streamlining, less bulk, easier packing for travel and, as much as anything, because the whole simple idea just seemed cool!

I dive a kydex BP with 17 lbs wing. All in the Caribbean. I use 3 lbs of weight which I either put onto a pouch on my top tank band or on a pouch on my waist belt from the BP. I do not use a separate weight belt. My pouch is a quick-dump XS Scuba model.

I probably drove Tobin crazy with emails and questions. He never tried to 'sell' me, he actually talked me out of spending money with him that he believed I did not need to spend!

DS

Back
Top Bottom