How cold and what are the dives like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rugbydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

Buddy of mine's hopefully gettin' back from Iraq sooner than later, and we were going to go diving when he's back.

I know there are lots of wrecks out in NC -- what kind of diving is there within a reasonable distance of Camp Lejeune (say 90minutes? That can be extended if necessary.) Any and all recommendations for a couple of new divers would be appreciated (he'll be newly cert. I've got about 15 bluewater dives).

Also -- how cold's the water? Start making the jokes now, but I kind of like those tropics for diving. Warm = good.

Hey Rug....It really depends on two things....when you go...and how easy do you get cold. If you go in the next month or so...I would probably wear my john boy ....that would give me 6 mm in the chest and 3 mm on the arms and legs....maybe even do a hood on the second dive...depends. Once summer hits here i just dive a 3/2 combination one piece that puts 3 m m on the chest and 2 on the arms and legs...no hood.

the only reason i do the one piece is in case i get forced into the wreck or someone runs me into it...(dive boats here can be fun)... a lot will dive with just skins.

I would highly recommend a group called....aquatic safaris....and they have a web site that tells you all about the dives....distance...depth...yada yada...

the only problem you might run into is most dives are advanced.... below 60 feet.....no matter who you book with be sure to tell them that....they have no problems turning divers away if their experience doesnt meet where they are going with the boat......it keeps lots of people alive and them out of court.

sounds like your buddy is a Marine....tell him an old vet said Semper Fi......and good job

let me know where you ended up diving
Rich

I went diving inshore Monday and the water was probably 60F. I wore 5mil on my chest and 3mil on my arms and legs, no hood and was ok.

During the summer the water is warm and you can dive with a 3mil no problem.

at LeJune you are between two good locations.

you can go up to Moorehead City
or south to Wrightsville Beach

Moorehead City is the colder of the two. a coldwater current comes from the north.

Wrightsville Beach is close to the gulf stream. nice warm water current coming up from the south. in another month the water temp out of Wrightsville Beach will be close to or over 80 degrees.

Aquatic Safaris is a very good shop to go through. very experianced crew.

Only one "O" in Morehead.

Temp in May off shore Morehead is 78 to 80, in June it will be 80 to 84 and stay that way through late September. Inshore is cooler earlier in the year and warmer later, shallow water you know...

Cheers everyone for the info... I'm just waiting for that call from his missus with an arrival date for him.

I'll be sure to let everyone know I'm heading out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom