How comes only half of the mask gets fogged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It’s driving me nuts. I have 2 scuba masks, cleaned with usual methods, no problem. I have 1 freediving mask Salvimar Noah. The left lens gets constantly ok. The right lens gets constantly fogged. I could just ditch the mask not a big deal but I want to understand what’s going on. I tried everything... will try all the other remaining methods potatoes and so on. But how is this possible?

Double lens (one per eye), and only the right lens gets fogged. AFAIK I don’t have sinus issues

It’s a pirate mask. Argggh!

We don't always breathb out of both nostrils at the same time.

That said, I still find it unusual that after you've done everything, that there's still any fogging at all.

How do you prepare your mask just before you put it on? Whilst you are readying to leave the boat or are walking in from shore, whete do you keep your mask until you actually set it on your face?

I keep the mask in a box. Few minutes before getting in the water I spit on both lenses (inside the mask when the lenses are still dry) and I spread the spit on each lens with my finger. I keep it on my neck. Then after I start the dive I try not to remove the mask for the whole dive (remember I am speaking about freediving here).
The strange thing is this doesn’t happen when I’m scuba diving with other masks. I tried to borrow freediving masks from others, some worked well, some didn’t and got fogged, but none with only the right lens fogged

So, you don't spit, spread and then rinse with a handful of water? Then put your mask on? Meanwhile, it's around your neck.

OK, first, after spitting and spreading but shortly before entry, I'll scoop up some ocean water into the inside of my mask and leave it sort of soaking. I don't put it anywhere on my body until it goes on my face, but you already being in the water preparing for your dive, don't have anything to set your mask on, ergo it's around your neck. Hmm one thing, is there any chance that you inadvertently breathe into it as you are getting it settled on your face?

I keep the mask in a box. Few minutes before getting in the water I spit on both lenses (inside the mask when the lenses are still dry) and I spread the spit on each lens with my finger. I keep it on my neck. Then after I start the dive I try not to remove the mask for the whole dive (remember I am speaking about freediving here).
The strange thing is this doesn’t happen when I’m scuba diving with other masks. I tried to borrow freediving masks from others, some worked well, some didn’t and got fogged, but none with only the right lens fogged
That's how I do it as well, although if I've got time in the water before we go down I will do it a second time.

I think you've got something on that lens still.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom