How common is a wing failure, and how would you handle it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

too afraid the user does not know how to use them and will get a run away surfacing.

I find that to be a fantastically overstated potential problem ... one that's very effective at selling ankle weights and promoting poor diving practices. I'll be working with a newish diver tonight, in fact, to help her learn to not rely on ankle weights.

Ankle weights are not needed for probably 90% of the divers who use them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have done a lot of recreational diving around the world over the years, and I have encountered a number of limitations. You don't see DPVs a lot on those boats, but the only limitations I have seen involved whether you had a buddy who also had a DPV. I have never heard of a rule against dry suits. I have never heard of a rule about going below 100 feet. I have heard of rules against doubles, but I have never experienced it myself. I am not saying that boats with these rules do not exist, but I have to believe they are pretty darn rare.

Maldives limit you to 100 feet. In fact, this isn't a boat policy, it's a government regulation that the boats are required to enforce. Not exactly on topic, but figured I'd just point out that's one location where there are, in fact, scuba police ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I took a drysuit course when I bought my drysuit from a dive shop. It was required, and included in the price of their suits. I didn't get a card for it though. That said, I've never used my drysuit on a boat. I got it for diving in freshwater springs. Having a boat ask for a DS card would be kind of a downer if I ever tried to use it on a boat.

I've got over 3,000 dives in a drysuit, have worn out a half-dozen of them over the years, have issued dozens of drysuit cert cards to students ... and have never owned one myself. When I purchased my first drysuit I watched a video and got a 45 minute pool orientation. That amount of training seemed to have been sufficient.

A drysuit card is pretty much only required if you plan on renting one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I tried to use my drysuit once (mainly for practice) on a shore dive in warm water. I only had shorts and a t-shirt on inside the shell suit. I got overheated and it really sucked. I don't think I blame boats for disallowing them in warm destinations. It could be both a thermal and a skill based risk.

I think the owners of DUI would disagree with you. I met Dick and Susan Long on a boat in Bonaire once ... they were both wearing drysuits. In fact, their company makes drysuits specifically for warm water diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think drysuits in he tropics is looney toons unless it's some tech thing where you really need it.

My first dive when it really started to warm up here in Florida was in the thinnest exposure protection I own, a 1 mil.... Thought I was going to die. My subsequent dives have been in light weight fishing pants with removable pant legs and a moisture wicking shirt.

I think the owners of DUI would disagree with you. I met Dick and Susan Long on a boat in Bonaire once ... they were both wearing drysuits. In fact, their company makes drysuits specifically for warm water diving ...
I would have to assume then that there's something different about the DUI from my Bare HDC Tech. I know for sure the Bare is way too warm even with no underwear (except swim trunks and a regular cotton t shirt) as I've tried it.

I would have to assume then that there's something different about the DUI from my Bare HDC Tech. I know for sure the Bare is way too warm even with no underwear (except swim trunks and a regular cotton t shirt) as I've tried it.

Some basic differences would include the weight of the material it's made from, the fact that warm-water drysuits come with ankle seals rather than integrated boots or socks, no warm-neck collar like your suit has, and significantly lower price.

It's like comparing a sweatshirt to a t-shirt ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bare makes a variety of dry suits, including ones designed for tropical diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom