How common is it for people to use first and second stages from different manufacturers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lt CHEG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First off let’s just say that I’m a bit (ok more than a bit) OCD so I tend to like to keep things the same. Having said that I understand that sometimes it’s good to use a mix of gear from different manufacturers to fulfill specific needs. Having said that, I’ll say that I like Scubapro regulators. I’ve always used them and never had any issues and I like the way they perform. I also have a bunch of Scubapro 2nd stages and like the way they work.

As I’m starting to prepare to get into learning tech I realize that I’m going to have to add other equipment. I’m also planning on getting into ice diving as well and I am thinking of adding some diaphragm first stages to my collection. I like the SP Mk17 well enough for single tank diving but as I get into tech I like the idea of swivels on my first stages. I’m looking really hard at Apeks but I think I still prefer my Scubapro 2nd stages. Is it really all that strange to run Apeks first stages with Scubapro second stages for tech and ice stuff? And then swap those second stages back onto Scubapro piston first stages for standard warm water non technical diving? Do those two brands play well together? Would I be better suited with a non mixed regulator setup? Thanks

while you can tune them to work fine together, i own both scubapro and apeks regulators and see no reason to mix and match them. the mk17 is fine for doubles. can get first stage adapters if you don't like bending your hoses. or just route them with the enviroseal pointing down like single tank.

Mostly, there's no problem mixing. The one thing you need to be mindful of is the intermediate pressure. Poseidon regs, for example, operate with a higher intermediate pressure. Their first stages are finicky when used with second stages that expect a lower intermediate pressure.

Poseidon is the only make that has this peculiarity that I am aware of.

If your SP second stage are balanced (or converted to balanced, as my four 109), then using them with whatever first stage is ensured to work well.
A balanced second stage is quite resilient to differences in intermediate pressure.

I would use the same brand so as to keep the maintenance easier. But it is entirely up to your personal preferences between Apeks or SP.
There is NO right or wrong.

100% of the time for me. If for no other reason than I buy my shizzle used and have it checked by LSD.

I like old metal seconds and Sherwood firsts, so I don't have much choice. I picked up a Posiedon Cyklon with a 109 alternate in a pile of used gear I bought, never found a need to change the configuration. Other than a few vintage reg sets, I put togather whatever I want to dive. If I was tech diving I'd probably standardize a bit more.

Bob

I use only Apeks FSR first stages, with seconds consisting of Conshelf 14s, G260s, G250s and currently a Zeagle F8 on loan. They all play well together. I service my own gear so LDS brand matching, warranty etc etc is if no concern to me.

Back
Top Bottom