How Convenient

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Metric or imperial. Fractional or decimal. Use what works for you. I can convert fractions to decimal equivilants fairly quickly. My favorite thread is 1/4-20 which needs a #7 drill. A 6mm x1.00 is just a bit too thin and an 8mmx1.25 is to big. Might as well go to a 5/16-18. While it's getting easier to get metric hardware, I still find a better variety in imperial. Give me dimensions and I'll build it. I am not constrained by only one unit of measurement.
Hey Doc, we also have 7 mm drills :)
and in specialized places (for small drill bit) you also get the half millimeter ones 6.5 7 7.5 and 8 ....

Oh come on. At least Celsius is not tied to some dead guy's idea of "comfort". A 100 is for "hot"? 0 is "cold"? 50 is freaking freezing and 98 is pleasant -- as you, as a diver, should well know.

I am not sure of your point. I get pretty chilled below 27.2222 and 30.5556 is dang near perfect. Granted dead guys do get more granular, over time. Proving my point?

Hey Doc, we also have 7 mm drills :)
and in specialized places (for small drill bit) you also get the half millimeter ones 6.5 7 7.5 and 8 ....

There's plenty of sizes like 3.4 mm and 4.2 mm and 6.1 mm etc., that aren't that specialized. They're pretty common, in fact. :wink:

I am not sure of your point. I get pretty chilled below 27.2222 and 30.5556 is dang near perfect. Granted dead guys do get more granular, over time. Proving my point?

I was referring to stories about where Fahrenheit pulled the set points for his scale from. There's one that claims it's a "natural" scale because "0 feels cold and 100 feels hot".

The official version isn't really that much more logical, that's part of the reason for all these alternative explanations.

And Fahrenheit is where I personally draw the line. I can convert 4 oz to 20 cl, inches to centimetres, and pints to half-litres, but for the temperature all I know is if mine is 100 it's time for an aspirin.

PS. and also that 40 below is 40 below.

There's plenty of sizes like 3.4 mm and 4.2 mm and 6.1 mm etc., that aren't that specialized. They're pretty common, in fact. :wink:

The shop needs to be specialized, not the bit :)
Those sizes cannot be found in common hw shops, you need a modeling or high precision hw, this is what I mean. Half millimeter is quite common.

The UK is unique.

We are Metric, except we still use some imperial units.

We use mm, meters, grams, Kilograms, litres, millilitres. But we use miles on our roads. People will still use feet and inches.

How to upset both a European and an American, quote both in the same sentence (which I sometimes do :)). Its "6inches long, + or - a few millimetres".
Carpentry is still done in imperial units, however, everything is sold in metric units, so 6inch nails are 100mm, 3x2 is 75x50 mm (but with a slight oversize), etc.

Distance is in Miles on the roads, but fuel is sold in litres.

In my youth, I once asked for some 1" stainless steel bar a couple of feet long, from the offcuts bin. The retailer told me (pompously) they where a metric establishment, so I asked for 25mm bar, about 300-600mm long. I heard him out the back asking the warehouse man for the 25mm bar ..... I heard the warehouse man yell " any inch S.S. bar a couple of feet long in the offcuts bin" to his companion, still makes me smile.

Just remember the British are contrary. :)

Don't forget stone, for weighing people. But grams in the kitchen, yes?

Most importantly, you use a real imperial pint for beer, not the short-shrift American equivalent.

Most importantly, you use a real imperial pint for beer, not the short-shrift American equivalent.

Baby steps. We’re still trying to kill off the last of the 3.2 beer. <shudder>

The shop needs to be specialized, not the bit :)
Those sizes cannot be found in common hw shops, you need a modeling or high precision hw, this is what I mean. Half millimeter is quite common.

I was just out-geeking you: they're "for thread" sizes.You're probably right: most non-special shops that have them would have them in a taps+bits kit rather than in loose bits. But I expect they are actually more common than half-millimetre sizes, except when the thread calls for a half-millimitre size.

(And I love American charts that give drill bit size for m12 coarse as 13/32. :confused:)

Don't pretend you Irish boys are any different ------ like us, you still sell you Guinness in pints !
Guinness is Good for You! (But I'll buy a round of 473 mL of Beamish anytime.)

Another nice thing with the metric system.

The distance from the equator to the pole is 10.000.000 meter.

Not a coincidence... the "meter", when created in the 1790's, was defined this way: 10 million meters from pole to equator. So the circumference of the Earth is 40,000 km.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom