http://www.diveheart.org/

How could a diver be so cruel :((

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You haven't heard of the "food chain" yet?

By that logic we should be able to kick and scare our chickens just because we eat them.

You are all right when you say that there are worse things happening out there than some DM poking a pufferfish. But just because there are bigger things does not mean you can just excuse the little things. e.g. Just because industry and agriculture produce more CO2 than residential and personal output does not mean we should not be conscious of our carbon footprint.

I just loaded a trailer load of bacon and hams at Hatfield Quality foods in PA. I asked the guy how many hogs they slaughter a day ? He said... " we don't slaughter anymore ( SMILING ) ... We " Harvest " 9000+ pigs a day, 7 days a week... People have no idea the scale of keeping the world fed...

Jim....

If we could just figure out how to eat sustainable rainbows and warm hugs...

By that logic we should be able to kick and scare our chickens just because we eat them.

That's putting it mildly in lieu of what actually happens to them. Enjoy your chicken sandwich.

That's putting it mildly in lieu of what actually happens to them. Enjoy your chicken sandwich.

I love meat, especially chicken, and know exactly what happens to them. Don't care much for the whole "perfectly humane" slaughter and raising movement (especially PETA, those guys are doofuses to the next level). They are animals created, bred, and grown to be put on the table. Don't care much about what happens to get them from point A to point B IF it isn't cruel or unusual.

But imagine a person who owns chickens in their backyard. Every day you see them punt and harass their chickens just to show their child the chickens' frightened behavior.

That's just messed up.

My $0.02

I don't think anyone is saying ... It's ok to abuse a animal... I for one don't see how grabbing a puffer fish and have it blow up as abuse or cruel... It's not something I could or would do... Is it cruel to catch and release a fish ? Is it cruel to swim with a turtle ? I had a diver swim up to me in Hawaii and write on a wet note " $10,000 fine for harassing turtles " I was about 5 feet from it watching it rest... i should have pulled her regulator out of her mouth, :rofl3:

Jim...

I don't think anyone is saying ... It's ok to abuse a animal... I for one don't see how grabbing a puffer fish and have it blow up as abuse or cruel... It's not something I could or would do... Is it cruel to catch and release a fish ? Is it cruel to swim with a turtle ? I had a diver swim up to me in Hawaii and write on a wet note " $10,000 fine for harassing turtles " I was about 5 feet from it watching it rest... i should have pulled her regulator out of her mouth, :rofl3:

Jim...

bet you were closer.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2016 at 04:59 PM ----------

gonna chip in here just for the fun of it.

I see the grand issue of our oceans is over fishing not dm / divers harassing aquatic life.

Do i think it's right to harass / harm aquatic life? no. i think we need we should all live life knowing our actions have consequences, and so long as you know the negative reaction you're creating and you think the benefit outweighs the negative then go for it.

take diving. i travel long haul, dump however much co2 into the atmosphere. the boat i'm on will dump some oil / chemical in the water or moor on a reef or drop anchor on something.

I think creating a dive industry rather than fishing industry outweighs the negatives i listed above.

Back
Top Bottom