How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I'm still amazed that these threads get so much attention.

I've been pretty deep. I spent a lot of time, money and effort on equipment and training and doing lots of dives so that I could see some of the things I wanted to see with some degree of comfort and control.

I really think the process and some of the things I saw were a whole lot more interesting than the actual depth. If you know where I've dived, you have a pretty good idea of what kind of deppths I've dived. I don't go out of my way to make a point of it because I don't want to make the folks that dive Dipolder twice a week laugh too hard.

IMO, the more interesting questions would be concerning the dives you've done well and the how's and why's. If you throw a rock in the water it goes all the way to the bottom. So? There are quit a few who have posted in this thread who have the potential to grow up to be a fairly decent rock someday.

You still didn't tell us anything that post was useless. I guess people like me who just got into diving are the guys who like to read about it and just see what is out there after we get mor experience and skills. just my .02

stepup:
You still didn't tell us anything that post was useless. I guess people like me who just got into diving are the guys who like to read about it and just see what is out there after we get mor experience and skills. just my .02

That's the whole point he's trying to make - there seems to be a fixation with depth, when with a little more experience you will discover ( at some point) that the depth is simply where whatever it is you want to see is - no more, no less. What is important is what you saw/did/caught there.
I've done a fair amount of deep wrecks, amazingly enought they are generally at the same depth as the sea, I'll go deep to see intact steamships/engines, I'd be unlikely to bother going deep to see coral - equally some of the most challenging dives havn't been deep at all, but had different challenges for varying reasons.

Yes, what FLW said. Depth is just one factor in a dive. We have so many others, vis current, time, cold, distance, overhead restrictions, difficult access and others. With the exception of the real extremes, depth is one of the easiest factors to manage.

stepup:

Is there a specific are of diving that you would like to hear or talk about?

Depth wise, 4 or 5 hundred feet isn't super rare. Diving down to about 300 ft is really fairly common and 200ish is an everyday thing. In those depths we have reefs, caves wrecks, flooded mines and who knows what else. We have activities that range from scientific to photography to exploration and survey to just signt seeing. You won't be able to do any of that on a short bounce dive with a little tank though. All you end up with is the depth number in your log.

stepup:

He is trying to tell you that the journey isn't about the destination. Quit running full-bore through the field to get to the other side. Stop and smell the flowers.

FD

And all in all that is what I am saying. I think that doing a bounce dive is pointless. All that is for is to get a #. And I agree totally that that is pointless. Me personaly though I like to hear about the guy that went to 727ft. for 29 days I think that was the depth. That kind of stuff intrigues me. Now I don't feel the need to do that I guess i am just a pansy though. All I was saying is that I like reading and hearing the stories of people who dive deep to me it is very interesting that people will actually try that kind of stuff. All in all I don't know very much about diving at all. Althoguh I have only been certified since June and dove as much as I could through the summer. This summer I plan on diving even more so I guess maybe then I won't enjoy hearing about people diving that deep as I mature as a diver but until then I still like hearing about it. :wink: :D

I've been to 202ft for my Trimix Class, but I'm generally happy at 50ft. I'll go deep if there is something to see but not just to go deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom