How deep have you gone on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just curious how deep folks have gone while breathing air.

Thanks ...

Sinbad -

I am just curious how deep folks have gone while breathing air.

Thanks ...

Sinbad -

You will find a lot of passionate opinions on that subject. I think I will just watch.

I have been 152 in a rescue scenario. I have a crazy friend who has been 200 feet. I do not recommend that depth on air- there is risk of oxygen toxicity, and a trimix is better, or heliox. Lots of deco time on the ascent as well.
Practice the safe 130 feet recreational diving limit on air, shallower on nitrox per the DSAT tables.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
This thread keeps coming up all the time. For me on 21% it was 199 FSW testing an early model computer with that depth limit. A quick bounce dive and very slow ascent cleared the deco obligation w/o a stop.

151 ft. with a 30 min safety stop. Both me and my Dive Buddy both agree from now on we will goto mix gases.

285' surface supplied in a wetpot chamber, like thousands of other US Navy First Class divers of the era... and no, I never even heard of anyone getting oxygen toxicity symptoms on these qualification dives.

Maybe 25 dry chamber dives to 250', mostly testing equipment.

At least 50 surface supplied dives to 240' commercially -- before it was as regulated as today.

More than 75 short duration (< 20 minutes) on Scuba to 230'. Three to 260'. I can't say these were true commercial dives, more like treasure hunts/salvage that didn't pay off. A lot more to 220' I would classify as recreational, mostly for a brass fever fix.

Recommended without a lot of training, support, and preparation; definitely no. Certain death from Oxygen toxicity, Nitrogen Narcosis induced screw-ups, or decompression sickness... apparently not. Except for dives I class as recreational, there was always a chamber onboard. For recreational dives there was always a chamber within 10 miles and close chopper support.

Now consider tech divers. Yes they make dives like this and deeper, but on Trimix. Some even use a rebreathers for optimal O2. But the vast majority dive without a chamber on site. The difference in sensibilities is interesting.

Paging Tortuga68 and Docc; your presence is requested . . .

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom