How deep will you go while freediving solo?

What depth do you try to limit yourself to while solo freediving?

• 150' or more (feet, not meters)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 125' - 150'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100' - 125'

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 75' - 100'

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • 50' - 75'

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • 25' - 50'

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • 15' - 25'

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • less than 15'

Votes: 17 18.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin699:
with SWB being ever present or possible I can't believe anybody would be stupid enough to solo freedive, think of all of the things that could go wrong, especially on a deeper dive.

Heck Justin, there is an ever present risk of having a heart attack while driving, but i'm willing to bet you drive solo. Risk is relative and as holdingmybreath pointed out, the REAL risk is pushing limits without another person there with you. This is something that I think most freedivers do not do. Keep in mind that my comfort zone and your comfort zone may be completely different but I don't see the need in referring to a diver as stupid simply because they freedive solo within limits. Anyway, great to see you in the freediving forum! :wink:

I don't know how far I've been, but I do know that I'll go all the way.

ok maybe saying stupid was a bit harsh to post. And yes there is a chance of a heart attack while driving, but by not driving I do not reduce that risk, that risk is ever present in our lives, however, if one were to have a heart condition and were to hike on a seldom traveled trail, that is increasing the risk. Freediving, especially here in nor-cal coast is a very risky endevour, so yes if finding a buddy is a difficulty and reduces now many times I go, then fine, but at least if something happens, the chances of me getting help are much better if I am unconsious vs. if i am alone. To answer the question, on the one occasion I have done it, I went no more than 10 feet, and had people within 50 feet on shore.

Rick, dude, you're right about not snorkelling solo. I did it myself, this past summer. Although I was at the beach with two people, I still did it, solo. But, I did it because the people I was with, didn't go in in the water with me. And, I can't find any one to do it with, so, I do it solo. Plus, I've done every thing else by myself, in the past. I'm sorry about your friend. Snorkelcorey

I haven't been back on this thread in a while, but having read some of the other posts I think I need to add some information you may find germane.
Charley was just practicing his freediving in six feet of water. He had gotten impatient trying to find a safety buddy that afternoon and decided to go alone - it's only six feet, what could happen, right? Well, he took his practice a little too far and passed out on the bottom with no one there to haul his dumb *** out, and he's dead.
And he knew better. And I know he'd have been insulted if anyone had told him it was stupid to freedive in six feet of water alone.
I think he'd tell you it's stupid now, though, if he could.
Rick

disclaimer: I am not (yet) a freediver, rather I swim underwater. The sixty foot dive below is my deepest and at the time I knew almost nothing about freediving.

A question like this is highly dependent on the individual answering it. I can imagine being capable of comfortable plunges to 150ft. and thus thinking nothing of free-swimming a reef to 80ft solo. In reality (for me) One day I decided to see how deep I can get on breath. Between dives (scuba) I jumped in the water alone. I will add, I frequently dive alone and I think there is more risk freediving solo. I dipped under and headed for the bottom (thankfully only 65ft down). Upon reaching the bottom, I felt surprisingly well. I swam along for about 10 more seconds, and turned to the surface. Almost instantly I realized I would have a hard time making it back up. This is the second time in my life (40yrs) I had been truely scared in the water. A few seconds later I was thinking "how devestated my son was going be" and I was sure I wasn't going to make it - absolutely sure. Fighting the constant, rapid contractions and "reaching" for all I was worth I broke the surface. Though I just wanted to gasp massive gulps of air, it was almost hard to breathe and the first breath actually took a couple seconds to acheive.?! This, is the epitomy of stupid in my opinion and I won't be trying that again - alone away. I will however take a cruise down to 30ft or so (for now anyway). Pushing the limits is always potentially deadly. Not knowing your limits IS deadly.

msandler:
disclaimer: I am not (yet) a freediver, rather I swim underwater. The sixty foot dive below is my deepest and at the time I knew almost nothing about freediving.

A question like this is highly dependent on the individual answering it. I can imagine being capable of comfortable plunges to 150ft. and thus thinking nothing of free-swimming a reef to 80ft solo. In reality (for me) One day I decided to see how deep I can get on breath. Between dives (scuba) I jumped in the water alone. I will add, I frequently dive alone and I think there is more risk freediving solo. I dipped under and headed for the bottom (thankfully only 65ft down). Upon reaching the bottom, I felt surprisingly well. I swam along for about 10 more seconds, and turned to the surface. Almost instantly I realized I would have a hard time making it back up. This is the second time in my life (40yrs) I had been truely scared in the water. A few seconds later I was thinking "how devestated my son was going be" and I was sure I wasn't going to make it - absolutely sure. Fighting the constant, rapid contractions and "reaching" for all I was worth I broke the surface. Though I just wanted to gasp massive gulps of air, it was almost hard to breathe and the first breath actually took a couple seconds to acheive.?! This, is the epitomy of stupid in my opinion and I won't be trying that again - alone away. I will however take a cruise down to 30ft or so (for now anyway). Pushing the limits is always potentially deadly. Not knowing your limits IS deadly.

Great story Mike, but your last sentence is the key to this whole thread. Thanks...

msandler:
disclaimer: Between dives (scuba) I jumped in the water alone. .
Mike,
You probably know this now but just in case, freediving after scuba can be deadly as well. With or without a dive buddy.
I don't mean to insult your intelligence , just a warning in case you didn't know.
Later,
Stitch

Bindlestitch, this is a good point and it was smart to point it out. I do subscribe to the principles and theories supporting the creation of inert gas bubbles.

Cheers!

Bindlestitch:
Mike,
You probably know this now but just in case, freediving after scuba can be deadly as well. With or without a dive buddy.
I don't mean to insult your intelligence , just a warning in case you didn't know.
Later,
Stitch

Never had a SWB. I guess if I had, I wouldn't be writing this. I used to snorkel/spearfish solo all the time when I was a kid. My thing was to jump off a dock in a lake, with a big rock in my left arm, and my cocked homemade Hawaiian sling in my right. The water was only about ten ft deep there. I'd sit there motionless with the rock in my lap and hope a fish would swim in front of my sling. I actually caught a few that way. On one of these attempts I had stayed down about three minutes and was pretty much maxed out. When I returned to the surface, I discovered that I came up right underneath the dock. Nothing but algae covered styrofoam as far as I could see, and I needed air NOW!! . Came real close to that panic point. I knew enough to travel in one direction, but it seemed I'd picked the longest way. I finally found the edge and busted through. I sat on the edge of the dock for a while, realizing that I could've killed myself. Then I realized that somehow, I'd dropped my most prized possession in the whole world into the lake. My official US Divers mask with the purge valve in the nose. I prized it even more than my Red Ryder BB gun.
At that point, I really didn't want to go back down there. I left it there on the bottom, thinking my aquanut days were over. That bothered me a lot for two weeks. Finally talked myself into at least trying to get my mask back. I found it on my first try. I was elated! I put it on and cleared it right then and there. I ended up sitting there again, trying to stab fish. I was truly hooked, line and sinker included.

Back
Top Bottom