How did the Jewfish get it's name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elbers_e

Reaction score
I noted recently that the official name for the Jewfish, Epinephelus Itajara was changed to "Goliath Grouper" which made sense to me because the name has always struck me as derogatory. But I have never been able to understand how the fish originally got it's name and I haven't found any information on the web to help. Does anyone have any information about this?

the Oxford English Dictionary lists the first usage of "jewfish" in this 1697 quote: "The Jew-Fish is a very good fish and, I judge, so called by the English because it hath scales and fins, therefore a clean fish, according to Levitical law."

Webster's New World College Dictionary says the phrase may have been borrowed from the Italian giupesce, which means "bottom fish."

Some more on that from http://www.joe4rep.com/KC 6-6-01.htm

"But by far the greatest source we have about our fishy friend is from the Oxford English Dictionary, which quotes from a book published in 1697, entitled 'A New Voyage Round the World,' by the famed explorer, William Dampier. In the book, Dampier logs his expedition to Jamaica, where he encounters Jews (who are an extreme minority, as they are in most other nations), who favor a certain type of fish - the jewfish - which they consider to be the grandest kosher fish. Kosher, because it has both fins and scales, and the grandest, because it is by far the largest kosher fish around, as it is in Florida's Keys (second to only the shark, when including all fishes). The quote from the OED is: "The Jew-fish is a very good Fish, and I judge so called by the English, because it hath Scales and Fins, therefore a clean Fish, according to the Levitical Law."

If this last bit of facts is the true origin of the jewfish's identity, then the name change has been totally baseless… just meant to appease a small group of insecure people with way too much time on their hands!
"

Interesting question. The other common name (at least in Australia) for the jewfish is mulloway. Another fish over here that has a politically incorrect name is the blackfish, or commonally known as "******".

In this day and age there really isnt room for any thing that could be considered offensive to any one. What ya reckon...?

Wow I'm impressed. the common name for the blackfish that i typed was automaticially censorered. That is very cool...

So, saying Jewfish is derogatory, but calling it a Goliath Grouper isn't? We will just change the name of the fish to the name of a Philistine who was killed by a Jew. I guess one derogatory choice is better than another.

It's still a Jewfish.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but the entire Jewfish name change thing is rediculous and stupid.

elbers_e:
I noted recently that the official name for the Jewfish, Epinephelus Itajara was changed to "Goliath Grouper" which made sense to me because the name has always struck me as derogatory.

I didn't know the etymology of the name until now, but I never understood how it was derogatory. Could you explain why it struck you as such?

DennisW:
So, saying Jewfish is derogatory, but calling it a Goliath Grouper isn't? We will just change the name of the fish to the name of a Philistine who was killed by a Jew. I guess one derogatory choice is better than another.

I have to agree, why does using the word jew make it offensive, are jews not proud to be jewish?? I would be pretty chuffed if they named a fish after me or some select social group that I belong to.

Is the name hogfish offensive to hogs? and what do school-masters think about having a snapper named after them? Do any of you damsels out there worry about the damsel fish and the fact that it is one of the most agressive fish in the sea, is than not derogatory and offensive?

There is a limit to the political correctness.

This is another case of someone judging a name by today's standards rather than in the context it was created. As you can see from the explanations above the term was actually a compliment to the fish by the people it is supposedly offending "who favor a certain type of fish - the jewfish - which they consider to be the grandest kosher fish. Kosher, because it has both fins and scales, and the grandest, because it is by far the largest kosher fish around" I'll bet Elbers (no offense intended) also has a problem with the Washington Redskins, Atlanta Braves. This is one of the problems with the USA today. Political Correctness run amok.

outlawaggie:
This is another case of someone judging a name by today's standards rather than in the context it was created. As you can see from the explanations above the term was actually a compliment to the fish by the people it is supposedly offending "who favor a certain type of fish - the jewfish - which they consider to be the grandest kosher fish. Kosher, because it has both fins and scales, and the grandest, because it is by far the largest kosher fish around" I'll bet Elbers (no offense intended) also has a problem with the Washington Redskins, Atlanta Braves. This is one of the problems with the USA today. Political Correctness run amok.

And thanks. I think PC should be abolished it causes more trouble than its worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom