How did the Jewfish get it's name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the explanation of the origin of the name jewfish to be very interesting. In the past I also thought it was politically incorrect (something I've been known to be on more than one occasion), but now understand the origin and find it totally inoffensive. I do try to avoid saying things that offend specific groups (although I say and write many things that offend some people). I laugh at the trend towards renaming critters because their older names were "inappropriate." I'm referring to the silliness of changing starfish to sea star, jellyfish to sea jelly, etc. Anyone paying attention in high school biology class should know these are not fish... or even vertebrates! When are they going to get around to renaming seahorses I wonder? Sheez.

I personally wouldn't mean offense if I used the term but I can see how it might be interpreted that way. Just reading through this old thread I was amused at how easy many protesting posters pulled out their well known Jewish stereotypes in response.

For the Jewish, who were isolated, denigrated, publicly identified and targeted for extermination, labeling might have a more sinister tone than I ascribe to it.

My wife is half Cree. One day her aunt (not Cree) told her husband "go wash up, you look like a dirty indian". Then, embarrassed she turned to my wife and said "I don't mean you dear". She meant no harm but just one generation previous my wife's mother had been taken from her family and put in a residential school and had the "dirty indian" beat out of her.

Is Spanish Mackerel OK? Canadian bacon? Chinese checkers?

I am not a big man. Several years ago I was fishing from an ocean pier in NC and hauled a nice fish over the railing. I was down on my knees unhooking it when a voice behind me said "What kind of fish is that?" "Spade fish" I replied as I looked up into the eyes of a 250 pound, 6 ft 4inch, very dark African American man who was not smiling. "It is shaped like a shovel or spade, see" I quickly stammered as I outlined its shape for emphasis.

Think he found my obvious discomfiture amusing. We then had a nice chat.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Wow...

A number of unfriendly comments and many follow ups have been deleted.

Please keep on topic and stop silting out the discussion with personal attacks.

... and places like Carysfort Reef was actually named after the HMS Carysford...

HMS Carysfort
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Five ships of the Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Carysfort, after numerous holders of the title of Baron, or Earl, of Carysfort:
HMS Carysfort was a 28-gun sixth rate launched in 1766 and sold in 1813.
HMS Carysfort was a 26-gun sixth rate launched in 1836 and sold in 1861.
HMS Carysfort was a Comus class screw corvette launched in 1878 and sold in 1899.
HMS Carysfort was a C class light cruiser launched in 1914 and scrapped in 1931.
HMS Carysfort was a C class destroyer launched in 1944 and sold in 1970.

Here's my source: NOAA - ICON - ICON - CRYF1 - STATION-HOME

HMS Carysfort
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Five ships of the Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Carysfort, after numerous holders of the title of Baron, or Earl, of Carysfort:
HMS Carysfort was a 28-gun sixth rate launched in 1766 and sold in 1813.
HMS Carysfort was a 26-gun sixth rate launched in 1836 and sold in 1861.
HMS Carysfort was a Comus class screw corvette launched in 1878 and sold in 1899.
HMS Carysfort was a C class light cruiser launched in 1914 and scrapped in 1931.
HMS Carysfort was a C class destroyer launched in 1944 and sold in 1970.

In this day and age there really isnt room for any thing that could be considered offensive to any one. What ya reckon...?

Some sharks finds the common slang for lawyers offensive.
Sharks are pretty tough-skinned but ya' gotta admit we all have our limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom