How did you choose your first agency?

Is the Agency a deciding factor?

• Yes, I would only go with PADI

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Yes, I would only go NAUI.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Yes I would only go with SDI,SSI,NAUI,PADI.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Yes I would only go with a major brand

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Not really, as long as they are accepted where I dive.

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • No, I would get certified on the moon, in a boat, with a goat by Dr.Seuse.

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Would it have mattered to you if the local dive operation was only offering SDI or Naui or Padi or XX brand as long as you could then get your tanks filled and go diving?

I didnt know anything about agencies when I took my OW. I called around and then went in and talked face to face with an instructor that gave me a good impression over the phone. He answered all my questions and was excited and passionate about diving, so I chose him to teach me.

I chose NAUI originally because it required more of me.

I stayed with NAUI becuase as an Instructor I am free to alter and make the course my own as long as it meets or exceeds the standards. I could make the course as "hard" or "soft" as I wanted to.

I can spend extra time on any subject I feel is important to me and include it in the Course itself, the confined water, or open water. I'm not confined by NAUI to only do "this"....which is what another Agency does....

My courses are my courses. I want the divers to know more than the minium, I want them to do more than the minium, and I hope they want the same thing.

Diving and teaching to dive is more than the minimums and knowledge is power.

NAUI Open Water, Advanced Diver, Rescue, Master Diver and you'll know just about everything from a recreational standpoint of a solid foundation in both knowledge and skills.

I also know and understand that ALL AGENCIES have great, average and so-so instructors.

That aside, it was the actual curriculum that finally made me chose NAUI in 4 courses versus a dozen other courses to get the same information thru other agency(s). It was just more challenging.

Long winded...but NAUI.

I didn't choose my first agency. I went with one of two local shops, both of which were PADI exclusively.

I didnt choose agenzy, I chose instructor and that choice was largely based on availability..

I didn't choose my first agency. I went with one of two local shops, both of which were PADI exclusively.

Same here. Between those two I chose based on schedule offered, price and "the feel of the place". Probably pretty much in that order too as the price was fairly similar and there was not much of a feel offered (instructors not available for a meet and greet before course).

Later I learnt there actually was a shop hidden in the woods that offered non-PADI training too but as I did not even know of the shop it did not enter the equation. Noway would I have traveled just after an agency at that point.

I chose PADI just based on circumstance, but I have to say that now that I'm learning more about diving I'm more attracted to what I've seen in NAUI courses -- they seem more involved. I'm starting the NAUI shore diver course tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom