How do I juggle my computer, a camera, and a light with two hands ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You shouldn't need to touch your computer much. Just check it for depth/time/NDL which should all be displayed without pushing any buttons.

Put your light on a goodman mount on the left hand. I would also put the computer on the left wrist. Carry the camera in your right hand (with a wrist lanyard). Personal preference though.
If you have your computer on the left wrist and the light in a Goodman handle on the same hand, every time you move your wrist to view the computer you will be waving the light around too.

Another option on the lighting...helmet mounted. You can mount both your camera and light(s) to a helmet. I did a few dives with my camera mounted to my mask and lights on a helmet. It’s a pretty sweet setup from a task reduction standpoint, but you may get teased for it, because it doesn’t look particularly cool.

Plenty of cheaper options, but here’s one with built in accessory rails. Black water divers often use rock climbing helmets to mount lights.

Aqua Lung Full Face Mask Bump Helmet | Dive Rescue International

every time you move your wrist to view the computer you will be waving the light around too.

Yes that is true. Pretty minimal movement though.

If you want to shoot video in dark conditions, then a normal dive light will not work well. A normal dive light is too focused, so you will have a hot spot that is washed out and the remainder of the field will be under exposed or too dark.

So I would suggest that you purchase a tray system with one or two dedicated video lights that are designed to throw a wide uniform beam of light, With the wide angle capability of the go pro, you will generally get better light coverage with two lights.

You can have a back up, hand held dive light clipped off somewhere to you BC for back up. You will be able to see and film fine with the video lights.

We offer a modular tray and light system that is small, easy to handle and is priced well.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Two-Handle-Camera-Tray-p/m2htct.htm

Probably an awfully dumb question, but..

II'll be diving inside structures ( 727 airplane, school bus, quarry processing buildings) and want to take some some hand held video of the adventure.

It gets darker inside these at depth, with limited visibility so a light is a very good thing.

So here's the quandry, I'm left handed, I wear my dive computer on my left wrist.

The camera is on a Go Pro "the Handler" so its close and easy point and shoot. With my left hand.

I generally use my light with my left hand.

The question is, how does one juggle all of that ? Video, illumination, and most importantly always peeping at the computer ?

I told you it was a dumb question !

Its not a dump question, some things you should look at changing. if you control your BCD with the left you computer should be on the right. lights you can get head lights. lights on a hat or use mounted lights on the gopro.

My computer is strapped to my camera rig, always. It’s always in front of my face...where my camera rig is, and I just have to look at it, so I don’t go deco or forget i’m at 98ft when I have been shooting a Nembrotha for 30 mins thinking I’m really at 62ft...

My computer is strapped to my camera rig, always. It’s always in front of my face...where my camera rig is, and I just have to look at it, so I don’t go deco or forget i’m at 98ft when I have been shooting a Nembrotha for 30 mins thinking I’m really at 62ft...

interesting plan in theory, but ER/Deco Doctors prefer to find your computer attached to your body as they are planning what to do with your otherwise frothing corpse. Just something to think about.

Computer on right wrist. Shouldn't need to mess with it and if you do your left hand is better at working it.
What had do you use for the inflator/dump? Put the light on the other hand. Goodman handle.
If the light and computer are on the same side, it is possible to roll your wrist and bend your elbow while keeping your light pointed in one direction. That is not a difficult thing to do. For those that lack the ability to do that, try a little harder. It really isn't hard to do.

So we have the computer taken care of. The light on a hand that is controlled. That still leaves most of both hands to handle a camera. Put a clip on it so you can clip it off when you don't need it or it is in the way.

People handle way more complex tasks in the water.

So, I sometimes photograph in caves. Same problem. My instructor made me promise to make at least 100 dives in the overhead before bringing my camera. He was right.

Back
Top Bottom