How do I stop finger spool from unspooling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been having an issue with my finger spool coming unclipped or unspooling. It likes to come unclipped from my waist d ring when standing up after suiting up. My last dive it unclipped and unspooled after my giant stride. I normally clip it gate towards my body, would clipping it gate out help? Any other suggestions?
thanks,

Wind it tight. Run the loop end out one hole, back in another, and clip it off tightly on the opposite side of the spool, gate clip towards the center of the spool.

Gate snap the wrong size? I had one that liked to act funny like that until I realized that I was using a gate snap that was too large. I've also heard it occur when they're too small.

Gate snap the wrong size? I had one that liked to act funny like that until I realized that I was using a gate snap that was too large. I've also heard it occur when they're too small.

And the perfect size is......?

I gate clip from center to out of the spool. So gate is facing out of the spool.
You'll have to rotate the spool almost 180 degrees for the spool to pop the gate.

Your way [OP], gate facing the center, you rotate 90 and your gate bumps the line and can come unclipped.
Your line can also unspool itself if you don't wrap tight or do a locking line wrap through the holes before clipping off.
Being a glove guy, I just don't want to bother with the latter.

Sometimes if your double ender gate is very smooth and low tension, it makes it more likely; by a minute difference.

My experience seeing double ender fails are almost always on splash entry. Backroll for mesh gear bags and giant strides for spools. Usually the item in question is not hugged on entry and rotated enough to pop the gate. I've only had 1 instances of this happening to me, throughout all my dives. Lost a mesh gear bag on backroll that ended up landing right on the anchor. The bag rotated on impact and popped the gate.

You could chest clip and hug for entries then shift everything to their "proper" place after you're situated on the surface or under.
Solves the problem right away.

I do clip it from the center or the spool out I. The spool side but then clip it to me with both gates facing in. I'll give the loop through a hole and back a different one a try. Unfortunately I don't have any pockets to put it in.
As always thanks for sharing your collective wealth of knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom