How do M-values change with respect to altitude?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm learning about Buhlmann and other Haldane-like decompression algorithms. There's a point that I cannot understand, and that is not mentioned in the many documents I've found on the web: do M-values change with altitude and how?

The problem may not exist with A-series Buhlmann compartments, where M-values can be calculated using half times and the "zero-depth" pressure. However, what about B- and C-series compartments whose M-values are empirical? And how about other algorithms, where M-values cannot be calculated at all?

I'm starting to think that altitude does not affect decompression algorithms (except for the depth-to-pressure step).

My understanding is that an M-value expresses the:

• maximum supersaturation pressure
  • a particular compartment
  • at that ambient pressure

can experience.

When depth is ignored, and the obligation is calculated from a purely pressure perspective, I was taught that altitude will not have an effect on the instantaneous M value. This is to say, the M value at 3 ATA (6,000' altitude) is the same for the M value at 3 ATA (sea level).

Since altitude has an influence on the ambient pressure at a particular depth - for example, 60 FFW at 6,000' altitude will have a lower ambient pressure than 60 FFW at sea level - altitude will have an effect when regarded from a depth perspective.

So it all depends on how you look at it suppose, depth or ATA.

The practical application: Since identical depth profile dives at altitude vs. sea level will have different ambient pressures throughout the dive, they will have differing M values at each point in time, and thus differing schedules.

All the best, James

Buhlmann's M-values are based on absolute pressures, so can be used at altitude. His M-values were developed and tested for a broad range of
ambient pressure exposures, from high altitude diving to deep sea diving.

Excerpted from Erik Baker's "Understanding M-values".

Thanks for your answers.

My understanding is that an M-value expresses the:

• maximum supersaturation pressure
  • a particular compartment
  • at that ambient pressure

can experience.

When depth is ignored, and the obligation is calculated from a purely pressure perspective, I was taught that altitude will not have an effect on the instantaneous M value. This is to say, the M value at 3 ATA (6,000' altitude) is the same for the M value at 3 ATA (sea level).

Since altitude has an influence on the ambient pressure at a particular depth - for example, 60 FFW at 6,000' altitude will have a lower ambient pressure than 60 FFW at sea level - altitude will have an effect when regarded from a depth perspective.

So it all depends on how you look at it suppose, depth or ATA.

The practical application: Since identical depth profile dives at altitude vs. sea level will have different ambient pressures throughout the dive, they will have differing M values at each point in time, and thus differing schedules.

All the best, James

Clear. However now I have a second question. In all the texts I've read, I've found the following formula:

M = M0 + ΔM d

Where d depth and ΔM is bar / meter (or bar / foot). Now, at the sea level, transforming this formula to use pressure instead of depth is pretty simple:

ΔM' = ΔM × 10 meters ÷ 1 bar
M = M0 + ΔM' (p - 1 bar)

Where p is the pressure and "- 1 bar" means: remove the sea level pressure.

But what about altitude diving? Can I use my formula with "p" unchanged (so that "(p - 1 bar)" may be negative)? Or do I really have to rely on depth?

Back
Top Bottom