How do these guys get picked up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified

Over a two and a half hour long tech dive in Cozumel. How does the boat follow them for two and a half hours?

The boat follows the silt cloud created by their extremely poor techinique!

Man, what are these people doing at 400’ feet? The cringe was proportially increasing as they were getting deeper and deeper... smh!

Watch the bubbles and look for bags to pop around the 30ft deco stop. Every group has their own way, but I'm sure the boat crew knows where they planned on going and where to expect them to come up based on time. Really simple.

Thankfully not me, but common to shoot a DSMB when starting deco makes it pretty easy on calm day. The bottom time is not much longer than a standard recreational dive that every boat captain follows every day. Once the DSMB is up the deco portion isn't hard to track with.

Otherwise, ascent in a predetermined area with a boat watching for them.

A couple hour drift dive is still only a mile or two, and depending finning with or against the current I can get a predictable exit point 99% of the time.

Cameron

Easily the most boring dive I’ve ever seen.

Easily the most boring dive I’ve ever seen.

Unfortunate! There's some really gorgeous spots in the depths here, they apparently didn't get a good drop. (or the OP knew to set them down where the rototilling would do minimal damage to the reef?)

The freshwater of the cenote outflows make for particularly pretty spots and otherwise it's occasional big critters and a craggy wall for lots of the reef. Nice seeing healthy black coral too (and an unfortunate number of sizable lion fish).

Cameron

If you are lucky the currents at the surface are running the same way as at depth. I had a loooong wait with my team when we did a ~200' dive in Cozumel a few years ago and the current switched at about 150', ripping south when the shallow was moving north. Got a fishing boat to call our boat for us, but they had to pick up some recreational folks first. :)

There really are some gorgeous spots down below recreational depths, but that is also where all the big lionfish have been chased. I don't see a lot above 130' in cozumel these days, but they were THICK down at 200' the last time I went deep (2 years ago or so).

I'd be suprised in a 150 minute dive (incredibly short for a dive that deep) if they get more than 5 minutes at 400ft or even an hour deeper than 60ft. Can shoot a DSMB from 60ft easily and that's about a normal recreational dive worth of a boat captain waiting around following bubbles.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom