How do we get to Sorong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. I'm headed out to Raja Ampat in Oct.

I'm flying from San Francisco to Jakarta somewhere in the ballpark of $550-700 round trip. Book your Jakarta to sorong (or Bali to Sorong, wherever you are flying to) separately with a local carrier. My flight from Jakarta to Sorong one way in Business class was $190.

Check out Nusatrip.com. Reputable site for Indo flights. I usually book through the carrier directly (Garuda, Sriwijaya) but some smaller ones (Batik Air) don't take foreign credit cards on their website but Nusatrip does. The other one is Tiket.com.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. We did this the first time we went to Indonesia (flew into bali from San Francisco then did local ticket from Bali to Labuan Bajo for Komodo.)

You beat me. Mine was $193 for business class...lol (Nusatrip as well). Also, my business class from Manado to Jakarta (I'm hitting Lembeh after the liveaboard trip) was only $152. And I wouldn't be afraid of Batik. They are also a full service airline (under the Lion Air umbrella). Besides, business class at half the price of Garuda's economy for a four hour flight is a steal if you ask me. Batik also allows a free extra bag for dive gear, so no worries there.

I agree with outofoffice on trying Liveaboard.com. Also try Diviac, as they seem to show more availability. Even if you're looking to go as soon as this October, there are still quite a few options available.
{{ $root.GplusTitle }}

I've booked several liveaboard trips with Liveaboard.com. Their credit card transaction is pretty secure to me, so far.

You beat me. Mine was $193 for business class...lol (Nusatrip as well). Also, my business class from Manado to Jakarta (I'm hitting Lembeh after the liveaboard trip) was only $152. And I wouldn't be afraid of Batik. They are also a full service airline (under the Lion Air umbrella). Besides, business class at half the price of Garuda's economy for a four hour flight is a steal if you ask me. Batik also allows a free extra bag for dive gear, so no worries there.

I agree with outofoffice on trying Liveaboard.com. Also try Diviac, as they seem to show more availability. Even if you're looking to go as soon as this October, there are still quite a few options available.
{{ $root.GplusTitle }}

Hey, when are you going? :) Wondering if same time as us!

Just keep in mind that Lion and Batik both have 1 star safety ratings, placing them among the lowest in the world. I believe that Garuda is the only Indonesian airline permitted to fly in the EU.

Just keep in mind that Lion and Batik both have 1 star safety ratings, placing them among the lowest in the world. I believe that Garuda is the only Indonesian airline permitted to fly in the EU.

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but these two websites (the first two that popped up when you google "airline safety rating") actually have Batik/Lion HIGHER than Garuda on safety rating.

Airline Ratings
Garuda- 4 of 7, Batik-5 of 7

Airline Safety Ranking 2017 » JACDEC
Garuda ranks 58, there is no Batik listing, but Lion ranks 57.

I'm taking Garuda for most of my Indo flights but there was no way around it for one leg based on time and destinations. Sometimes it just works out that way. Hopefully, Batik will land us safely and we get to dive Raja!

Garuda gives you an extra 23kg of scuba equipment at no charge (43kg total for free) . Also in-flight service. Lion provides NOTHING. I fly Garuda when ever possible.

As I said, Batik offers those same things as well. I don't think anyone said they were flying Lion Air. Batik is the full service branch of Lion Air. It's a different airline. But if y'all to bash it for some reason and prefer to pay twice as much for economy as we are for business class (with 53kg of free luggage) simply due to your familiarity with Garuda, feel free...lol. I'm just trying to provide info and suggestions to the OP.

I love this site! Yep my problem was searching for Sorong not Jakarta. Little rock to Jakarta is only around 1k plus or minus $150 as I bounce around dates (we want to go in late 2018 and that to far to book). Now we have to find a boat that isn't full. Many we look at are already booked up! I hate to commit to a cheap hostel type room but so many of the boats we like are "no availability". Oh and should we plan to.spend the night in Jakarta or sorong? Read we need to arrive a day early just in case. I want this to be a trip for the record books but darn it's a lot of work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom