How Do You Actually Get PADI Master Scuba Diver Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldwater_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know the requirements for Master Scuba Diver, but considering it's not an actual course, how do you actually get this cert? Do you just write PADI and tell them to look at your record and honor system you have 50 dives or what? Thanks.

You need to apply to PADI with the MSD application form.

Your certification history must be verified by an instructor and the application + fee (can't remember what that is) sent off to PADI. Your LDS should be able to help, obviously take your c cards and logbook with you as evidence - although your certs can be looked up online if necessary.

I have a .pdf version the form I can send you if you'd like to look through it.

Cheers

C.

Thanks, figured it was something like that.

I've still got a way to go, I was just curious becuase I see "Master Scuba Diver" posted everywhere and nothing about how you actually get the thing.

Although I probably need to do a better job with my log book, I've been recording everything, just haven't been good with the signatures (it's so much easier to just fill out at home later that night than having to bring with you on the dive boat). Guess that's going to hurt me in the end if some of the dives aren't verified.

I doubt you'll have a problem with not having signatures. As long as you have the required certs and the 50 dives logged, I'm pretty sure they'll sell you the card.

I doubt you'll have a problem with not having signatures. As long as you have the required certs and the 50 dives logged, I'm pretty sure they'll sell you the card.

Probably not.

Given that no training is involved and no privileges are bestowed, seems like any for-profit corporation would be extremely enthusiastic about exchanging something like $3 in plastic and shipping costs for 100 bucks (or whatever it costs).

Thanks, that's good to know I guess.

The whole verification is so pointless anyways, I mean someone could just sign any name and no one would know: no one is seriously going to check the cert numbers (especially since they could be cross-agency) If someone really wants to cheat, they're going to cheat, it's them who might get involved in something they aren't ready for.

Thanks, that's good to know I guess.

The whole verification is so pointless anyways, I mean someone could just sign any name and no one would know: no one is seriously going to check the cert numbers (especially since they could be cross-agency) If someone really wants to cheat, they're going to cheat, it's them who might get involved in something they aren't ready for.

The certifications must be independently verified by a PADI instructor. All relevent certification numbers need to be printed on the application form - the numbers are obtained either from the diver's c-card or on PADI's online Dive Check utility - as well as the Instructor's name and number. Relevant certifications from other agencies must have copies attached.

These applications are then sent to PADI (can be done via e-mail in some cases) where they are independently verified and processed by a member of staff, as opposed to being processed electronically as per standard recreational c-cards.

So it might be possible to fake your way through all that - but attempting to do so would be silly, I feel.

Toodles,

C.

Reactions: Sax
Coldwater_Canuck:
no one is seriously going to check the cert numbers (especially since they could be cross-agency)

I believe all the required certifications are also required to be PADI certifications. I do not believe they recognize certifications from other agencys when it comes to issuing a master diver card.

Last edited:
Nope.

You telling me that one would have to have an instructor along on every of the 50 dives to verify that you actually did the dive? Impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom