• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How do you carry your housing?

Discussion in 'The Olympus Outlet' started by Shasta_man, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Shasta_man

Shasta_man Loggerhead Turtle

have my new PT-020 and going to international destination:

Looking at Pelican hard case so I can just check it but it's one more piece of gear with weight. Of course, I can't eliminate that completely but thought I would check for innovative ideas here before purchasing.

An aside would also be why are all the Pelican cases that are narrow enough to fit the housing only, are never deep enough forcing you to go to the wider case to get the necessary depth?

FYI: the rest of the gear is one roller scuba bag each containing dive gear and clothes so no room there.

2. jlyle

jlyle Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    A bunch of u/w photogs are using Lowepro backpacks. I have a Stormcase; much lighter, better handles, better latches than Pelican. Check out cases4less.com.

3. RonFrank

RonFrank Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Most professionals that travel with camera gear attempt to carry as much on as possible.

Bigger lenses that can not be easily carried on I generally put in a hard case, and then pack in a ordinary looking bag.

Pelican is one of the more popular waterproof hardcase manufactures, but if you are having difficulties finding a size that you need, there are a LOT of other options. Lowepro, Ikelite, Sealife, and Domke are just a few of the other manufactures.

There are really only three three choices.

** Carry on - disadvantage umm, you gotta carry it on!!
    ** Dedicated case (like the Pelican). Advantage, very good protection, Disadvantage, screams hey, I've got something valuable inside.
    ** Bury it in a suitcase full of clothes. Advantages, does not draw attention, does not add an extra bag, Disadvantages, may not be as well protected (depending on how you pack, takes up space that you may need for other STUFF.

Traveling with Camera gear is a Pain in the rear... unfrotunately until they invent a George Jetson solution, if one wants images, it's the price that must be paid.

BTW, a GREAT vendor for a HUGE selection of bags/cases is www.bhphotovideo.com

Good Luck,
    Ron

4. Dee

Dee ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I go back and forth with this every trip! I've used both Pelican cases and backpacks and each has their pros and cons.

If I check my camera gear it goes into a Pelican case. That's my least favorite option because 1) the case itself draws attention and 2) if it does go missing, everything is gone. So I prefer to carry it on, at least the basic rig and my laptop. I have a couple of backpacks, my favorite is the Lowepro Mini Trekker because it's compact yet holds alot. I also have one that will hold my laptop but it's bulkier, heavier and less comfortable so I carry my laptop seperately. Luckily the Oly PT cases are small so I can get all my camers gear in one backpack. Another good point to a backpack is when I wear it up to the check in counter, I've never been asked to weigh it! YMMV

There's a new Pelican case, model 1510, that has wheels and is carry on size, 20x14x9.Cases4Less.com has the best price I've found. The only problem with carrying on a hard case, even if it fits the required size, is it's hard to fit in the overhead compartments.

Whatever you decide...have a great trip...and bring back some photos to share!

5. RonFrank

RonFrank Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    This is kinda a biggish Backpack, but I can get a LOT of stuff in it.

I agree with Dee that the Mini Trekker is a VERY nice case, and what I am using is overkill unless one carrys a full SLR system with multiple lenses, flash, filters, yadayada....

The Mini Trekker is more than enough for a PnS with housing PLUS you can put a bunch of other more expensive stuff inside, like you phone, maybe an MP3 player, and I'm betting a Reg may even fit....

I also have NEVER had the airport DUDES ask to weigh my carry ON BP which is good, cause the thing weights a ton :eyebrow:

Ron

6. SwimsWithSharks

SwimsWithSharks Instructor, Scuba

I use the Lowepro computrekker http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Notebook_and_CD_Cases/notebook_camera/CompuTrekker_AW.aspx . I can get my lap top, ikelite housing, two cameras, Inon lenses, topside additional lenses, batteries and a few other things in it. It is very heavy when all is loaded but I like having everything with me. I almost had a problem carrying it on a small puddle jumper but had a cooperative crew. On larger planes, I have had no problems.

7. jlyle

jlyle Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    IMHO, the Storm Case 2500 is a better buy and a much nicer box than the Pelican 1510:

1. It's just as sturdy/well built.
    2. It weighs 3.2 pounds less.
    3. The handle is much nicer - bigger, softer.
    4. The latches lock and are easier to open.
    5. It comes in more colors than black - black, yellow, or grey.

Pelican 1510 wheels 15.9 pounds inside 20.2x11.4x7.5 outside 22x14x9
    Storm Case 2500 wheels 12.7 pounds inside 20.5x11.5x7.2 outside 21.7x14.1x8.9

8. Charlie99

Charlie99 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    It's not like these housings are super fragile! They withstand a lot of pressure while in use.

I just put my PT-016 housing in a suitcase, wrapped in a couple of t-shirts to prevent anything from snagging the buttons with a sideways force.

You can easily make a bit more room in your main bag by pulling out a couple wetsuits or other indestructible items and putting them into a small duffle bag (perhaps a smaller gearbag that you can use to carry stuff onto a boat).

Charlie

9. Shasta_man

Shasta_man Loggerhead Turtle

For those carrying on the camera backpack, do you carry your regulators/computers on too?

Many thanks for all responses. Though I have to say the last is amusing. Everybody else is like computer bag, rolling case, etc to protect it then Charlie99 says "just wrap it in a couple of Tshirts!". :)

I was carrying the wife and I's regulators on board but maybe a camera backpack that could fit the regulator and housing... I was looking for low weight since the wife will be handling this and we already have a big rolling scuba bag each. The redistribution idea is interesting.

10. fins

fins Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I carry-on a backpack which holds my regs, cannister light, camera and housing (as well as a few personal items for the flight, snacks, magazine, iPod, etc). I place my strobe, arms, battery charger and WAL in a small Pelican case that I put inside one of my suitcases.