• 2 AI computers, SPG

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • Other, describe below

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • AI computer, SPG

Votes: 66 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting question and glad its getting asked. I want to see what others do.

NO tech diving here.

I use AI Perdix with SPG on left hip. But am thinking of ditching the spg to my dive bag as the Perdix is so reliable.
When I am doing multi dives on multiple days. I carry an extra Oceanic VT3 which leaches signal off the transmitter; plus spg.

A great instructor of mine told me once that we are moving to AI DC as they are becoming really reliable. Since then I've been thinking of ditching the spg.

I've always been a staunch supported of AI and have been using it for the last 4-5 years.

However all my 1st stages have a conventional SPG fitted.

I still use my SPG when I set up my gear, and I always use my SPG for my test breaths and once again just before I splash.

It is nice and convenient having the info on yoru arm that you can glance at as you check depth etc. I use an Eon as my primary computer, so the graphical display is similar to the fuel gauge in the car, you just glance.

On 90% of my dives, I just need confirmation of my gas contents 2 - 3 times anyway.

When teaching however, even if I have my transmitters attached (I use QD connections to move them around rigs) I continually use my SPG - more often than I need to, so that my students see it being used and I set good habits.

When I first started SM, I chose not to use AI, instead preferring to establish good muscle memory with conventional gauges first.

For me, I could live without AI but not my conventional SPG. The only time AI comes into its own, is if my hands are preoccupied with a task.

On an NDL dive, if a computer went down it wouldn't be the end of the earth, as I feel by now I'm experienced enough to be able to gauge a safe ascent.

Shearwater non AI & spg, puck computer in gauge mode for backup

Oceanic PP3, hose Ai, Oceanic Data Plus. If I were planning to dive anywhere close to NDL, or pontentially gas limit. I would definitely be sure to have a lollipop(been looking for boots for the spgs from our old consoles). Any issues with primary computer and it's dive over proceed to safety stop .

AI computer only for pretty much all OC nitrox diving, including 3+hr cave dives. Don't really feel the need for SPG's or a second computer. I know my general profile and gas consumption so the SPG's live in the save a dive kit on the deck

I checked "Other".

Up until the last trip that I was on, I used an AI computer; typically a hosed AI computer. I have found the Oceanic ProPlus series to be good for what I need. I also had a Citizen Aqualand dive watch that kept track of dive time, depth etc.

On the last trip, a LOB, my ProPlus3 (PP3) failed at a little over 100ft. I had just started the dive so I knew that I had lots of air (NITROX), but I signaled to my buddy that I was OK but my computer had failed, and I aborted the dive (my buddy paired up with an existing buddy pair). Since I knew I had plenty of air, there was no rush to get to the surface and I did an extended safety stop at 15' before surfacing. The boat crew lent me one of the boat's computers for the rest of the trip. The failure happened on the 1st dive of the day, and I had been out of the water for about 15 hours, so while not zero, my residual N2 was very low.

When I got back, I sent my PP3 off to get fixed and I bought a Geo2 and an SPG as my "Plan B". My plan is to dive with my PP3 and my Geo2 as a back up, with my SPG in my Save-a-Dive kit. That way, if my PP3 fails, I will have my Geo2 with my current info (such as residual N2 loading if any) on it and I can simply swap out my PP3 with my SPG and I am good to go.

I have an old Suunto Cobra, hose mounted AI, And a Suunto D6i with transmitter.

If any of my computers get any problem I still have the history to make the next dive, and hopefully i can fix the problem before the next day. I always carry spare batteries/orings in my spare parts kit.

The Cobra I have clipped of to lower left corner of my BP when i don't need it.

I plan to change my D6i to something that can handle 2 or more transmitters for future sidemount diving, but what it going to be is yet to decide. Had a nice opportunity on a Suunto Eon core at a nice price, but today its a little empty in my dive kit account. other candidates is Oceanic OCi/OC1/VTX (or some of the clones) or Perdix AI, or what I can find with a reasonable price when its time.

Hi @Hoag

I have been diving an Oceanic AI VT3, a Geo2 or a Dive Rite Nitek Q, and an SPG for about 8 1/2 years. I have only needed any kind of backup for 6 dives/3 days, all my fault. I let my VT3 battery go dead after a period of nonuse, I let my transmitter battery go dead once, and I forgot to transfer my transmitter to a different reg set once. I have improved my battery habits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom