How do you know a boat is safe(er)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dizzi Lizzi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First I want to thank the experienced divers for all your advice. We especially liked the What if…series. It helped us remember that there are several solutions to a problem sometimes, and to take the time to really think it out. We are purchasing a few more safety items that we thought we did not need yet… for those just in case moments. It has also helped us develop a safer dive plan!

2nd I want to thank everyone who has posted a lesson learned. I’ve learned from all of them. I will be posting mine soon.

My question today is how do you know a boat is safe. This stems from the incident in California. I suppose I can google each boat to see if there is a history I’m not comfortable with. Even saying that I admit I’m a “lightning won’t strike twice” type person and would have expected that a boat with a prior incident would be safer as the crew/owner/captain/company would never subject their self to that kind of stress (guilt) again. Whether or not the boat left a diver behind I suppose remains to be seen, but the writing is on the wall. Anyway any advice you have would be appreciated. I would not trust anything like yelp type reviews, too open to tampering in both directions. Also, if we board a boat where it seems like everything is lax, what would you do????

...//... My question today is how do you know a boat is safe. ....
Diving isn't safe.

The best information I can give you came from a now passed sea captain. "Dive within your range."

What he meant was, only you know what you are comfortable with. Stay there. No "over the top" dives, ever. The more you dive, the greater your range will expand. You haven't been diving for a while, your range will contract.

To your question: Show up an hour before a scheduled dive and watch. Introduce yourself to the captain and crew. Remember that the same boat, captain, and crew can appear VERY different depending on the day's destination.

Show up for an easy, inshore dive. Do this for three or four boats and you will probably "click" with a boat and its crew.

Reactions: RJP
A boat is as safe as the crew on board the day you dive. Since DMs can change from day to day, that can vary. For the most part I think the boats in southern California are pretty safe considering that here we don't put divers in the water with a DM (unless contracted to do so). Ultimately one's safety depends on one's own preparation and skills and how one responds to any emergency that may come up. A diver who panics at depth may not be saved regardless of the training of the crew.

I am one who feels that the requirements for becoming a dive master are far too lax for me to rely entirely on them (unless I know their training level, experience and attentiveness). To be able to certify as a DM (and thus work on board a dive boat as one), requires relatively few dives IMHO and not enough varied experience in many cases. With that said, I'm not sure I'd even want to be a DM despite having thousands of dives as the responsibility is great (and the rewards generally small).

thanks, yes i most certainly dive within my range. I've been in the situation where I did not feel comfortable with going though a kelp bed to get to the spot (just over there), so just stayed at the anchor line practicing skills. I've been too shy to introduce my self to the crew/captain. that will change!

And yes, a crew could not help me at depth. I understand my training in and out of water will help me cope when a problem occurs. Practice practice practice....

I've been too shy to introduce my self to the crew/captain. that will change!

Don't be shy, and don't be intimidated ! Diplomatically/politely speak up to the crew, and to other divers. If you need a buddy, or aren't comfortable with the dive/dive buddy that you have, speak your mind. It's perfectly fine to thumb a dive, ask for help and/or speak your mind.

...//... so just stayed at the anchor line practicing skills.
Last year, I spent an entire dive on the Pinta (http://njscuba.net/sites/site_pinta.php) a couple of feet from the downline just watching a sea creature. Someone even tapped me on the head to see if I was responsive. Shot a quick "OK". They left.

Your life, your fun, do it your own way. Be as safe as possible while doing it. And yes, introduce yourself to the captain and crew. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Jax
Don't be shy, and don't be intimidated ! Diplomatically/politely speak up to the crew, and to other divers. If you need a buddy, or aren't comfortable with the dive/dive buddy that you have, speak your mind. It's perfectly fine to thumb a dive, ask for help and/or speak your mind.

Last year, I spent an entire dive on the Pinta (http://njscuba.net/sites/site_pinta.php) a couple of feet from the downline just watching a sea creature. Someone even tapped me on the head to see if I was responsive. Shot a quick "OK". They left.

Your life, your fun, do it your own way. Be as safe as possible while doing it. And yes, introduce yourself to the captain and crew. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

This advice is spot on. As a part time dive boat captain, I'm always willing to answer any questions you might have. Safety is always my first priority and I have no problem helping anyone out, both new or experienced.

This advice is spot on. As a part time dive boat captain, I'm always willing to answer any questions you might have. Safety is always my first priority and I have no problem helping anyone out, both new or experienced.

Thanks, good to know. And yes, I'm intimidated. You called it muzikbiz as I'm really not shy.
I did not realize that crew/captains changed. Duh.

We can always mitigate risk ourselves. Most boat dives aren't far from the Coast Guard. PLB's are looking better and better.

We can always mitigate risk ourselves. Most boat dives aren't far from the Coast Guard. PLB's are looking better and better.

Yes, cheap insurance as I see it. Looking into it. Hopefully never ever have to use it :p

but dang, so much gear to haul and hang off you. I never envisioned all the stuff you need...want...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom