How do you like your Fusion drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say I hate my Fusion. I'm just realizing that I've come to the limit of what I can do in it. When I got it used, it had the Tech skin. Fast forward a couple of years and I replaced it with the Bullet. And that led to a revelation about the design -- its greatest advantage is also its greatest flaw. And that is: you're essentially wearing a large garbage bag to stay dry. Naturally that's not going to conform to the shape of your body, so you have to wrap the garbage bag in spandex. The spandex is what keeps the suit streamlined and close to your body. And when you're in and out of chlorinated swimming pools or getting a lot of sun, sooner or later the spandex skin loses its elasticity and its ability to hug you closely so the inner layer doesn't go flopping around.

That's what happened to my Tech skin. Couple of years after I got it, the skin was hanging off me like a cheap motel curtain. It was already thin to start with -- basically a Sport skin, but with pockets -- so it got worn out pretty fast. I replaced it with the Bullet skin, which is supposedly more robust, being thicker, better reinforced, and more abrasion resistant. (I got one of the old Whites design, before they were bought by Aqualung.)

But here's where I'm not happy with it. Somebody upthread mentioned it being difficult to self-don, and I have to agree. Not just a question of struggling in and out of the legs, either. For the moment I still have the flexibility to reach over my left shoulder with my right hand and vice versa, but in all honesty I'd rather just do it up 80% of the way and tap somebody nearby to make sure it's closed properly. And another comment mentioned having trouble controlling the bubble -- I understand what you mean, and I'm bothered by the same thing. IIRC, the OP said he had a Sport skin, so I'm not really surprised. The Sport skin is light, flexible, and dries quickly, but it's also thin and lacking the elasticity to truly pull the inner core close and conform to the body. I have the same problem, although not nearly to the same extent. And don't get me started on the pockets.

In sum, the Fusion is a good recreational drysuit for divers on a budget. When you want to take your diving beyond that, the limitations of the design are revealed.

I started with a Bare cd4 which I hated. I also tried Bare's bilam suit and trilam both of which I didn't like. Then I got an Aqualung Fusion with Sport skin and found it was excellent. I have since replaced the sport skin with a tech skin. I find the easy to don and doff, very comfortable, streamlined, easy to dive because the air management is excellent. I have been diving it for about eight years and when I replace it I will get a Bullet with aircore and have a pee valve installed.

I'd been diving an original White's Fusion with Tech skin and I was pretty happy with it here in Seattle. The pockets were lousy, especially when trying to grip the flap with thick gloves. I eventually added a p-valve and Santi heated vest coupling through the inflator and was a good suit. Even with previous shoulder surgery, I didn't have much problem with self-donning, and compared with the Santi I now dive, was about the same effort getting into the suit, it was just a little different. I still have it as a backup suit after about 350 dives, the tech skin needs replacing, I've patched some holes around the ankle seams and some other minor seeps in the legs, and the brass zipper has a couple breaks between a couple teeth (doesn't leak yet). For the $$$, it was a good first suit.

If donning the suit is a problem spray the interior with Sailkote, it makes it much easier to slide on, this trick came out years ago. I recoat mine a couple time a year.Amazon.com : Mclube Sailkote 8oz. : Sports & Outdoors

Another gem from Aqua-Andy, the Whites Fusion King!

Whites Fusion SLT/SiTech cuff ring modification step-by-with pictures

whilst you're there, you can replace him with this one

SiTech QCS OVAL Set (Silicon Seal) for DIY fitting - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

Magnificent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom