How do you limit calories to lose fat but still gain muscle mass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try doing double the reps and half the weight for what you described above. It sounds like you want to tone and slim down, not gain muscle.

Women generally do not bulk up. They get lean and strong, but without testosterone abuse, (as is the case with many female bodybuilders) there is no bulking. The only way to build muscle is to lift heavy enough so that you reach muscle-failure between 8-12 reps per set. Muscle failure is what gives the muscles the signal/stimulus to grow, so that they can meet the demand being placed on them. If the muscle is able to meet the demand placed on it, there's no reason for it to grow.

Try doing double the reps and half the weight for what you described above. It sounds like you want to tone and slim down, not gain muscle.

Gaining muscle helps you slim down because it burns more calories, than adipose, I think.

catherine96821:
I would ask him which labs he is referring to. His answer will tell you a lot.
If I remember correctly it was my cholesterol (the bad is low and the good is high) and my triglycerides (they were something like 25 when he tested them). It's been almost 4 years since I've had any tests done though, I don't like to go to the doctor they scare the bejeezus out of me.

rakkis:

Actually I want to bulk up as much as my body will let me. I have a "willowy" frame and don't use any "growth enhancers" so I won't get grotesquely big but I should be able to get a nice defined shape. Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2 is what I would like to look like. My sisters say I already have the attitude LOL! (I was a little confused about why the "Rambo B---- from Hell" reminded them so strongly of me):confused:
Ber :lilbunny:

Willowy...Ahh such problems.....:rofl3: Never in my entire adult lifetime have I been described as willowy.....Marshmallowy maybe....I have the calf muscles of a linebacker....or plowhorse....take your pick

I'm no expert but if you're trying to lose fat off the tummy it would be good to mix in more cardio. Do weights twice a week and running or swimming twice a week. It's important to get weights in but more important to do the cardio.

Right now I'm trying to swim 2-3 times a week, run 1-2 times a week, and lift weights 1-2 times a week. I think if you add a day or two of exercise to your current 3 days you'll see some added results and not have to focus as much on your caloric intake.

All with a grain of salt of course, I'm no expert. :)

My diet plan and lifting plan:

-I eat 3 meals a day of around 300-400 calories each
(I dont lose muscle mass as some people would think, and my metabolism is fine)
-I do 45 minutes or more of cardio a fay 5 days a week, usually end with 5 miles on eliptical (in 44 minutes)
-I alternate abs and upperbody resistance training each day
-I hate measuring out 5-6 smaller meals a day, so I said screw it, there is scientific reseach behind my diet, if you dont believe me, oh well.
-myoplex after workouts for recovery time

Last edited:
A bit of advice from a guy who's been in the Army for 20 years and has to do this stuff even when he doesn't feel like it:

Stop doing the protein shakes, they're hype and don't work! Eat real protein the solid food fights hunger, liquid food doesn't. Also, stop worrying about the number on the scale, muscle weighs more than fat! Get yourself a tape that you can tape your belly with and monitor the size of it. 2000 is more than sufficient, if you choose the right 2000 you shouldn't be hungry.

Also, lifting is great, but if you're not mixing in cardio sessions of 45 minutes or longer, you're going to be very very slow at losing the excess fat.

Well my job solved the problem for me. They did away with the desk job they had me in and sent me back to my old position. After running around hefting heavy things for over a year 8 hours a day I'm back to my pre desk job condition. I cut my sugar consumption way, way back as well (no candy or sodas) and the final 10 pounds finally came off. I still get more than the recommended grams of sugar but its from raw fruits and veggies mostly. I'm pretty happy with the results but bummed that at 41 I'm not going to be able to maintain this weight in a non physical job. No time at the gym gives me the same results as 8 hours hustling up and down my machine at work.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom