How do you make a loop with bungee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pitio

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering.
I got this elastic bungee to create a loop to place the inflator hose for my BP/W.
It is quit thick where I do not think making a knot is ideal.
What do you do to form a loop?

Do I have to get some peace of stainless metal to joint the both ends?
I was hoping there are easier ways.

Thank you

pitio:
Hi, this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering.
I got this elastic bungee to create a loop to keep the inflator hose for BP/W.
It is quit thick where I do not think making a knot is ideal.
What do you do to form a loop?

Do I have to get stanless peace of metal to joint the both ends?
I was hoping there are easier ways.

Thank you

I use a stainless steel hog ring. You can get them at West Marine or other marine stores. Boaters use them to make up all manner of things with bungee cord. Installing a hog ring is done with a special pair of pliers with groved jaws. You can use regular priers, but they will slip and you will end up pinching your fingers.

scuba_gear_027.jpg

i just tied a not on both sides. its also were i can adjust them too.

Thanks!

When i get a change, I will go to West Marine and check the stainless steel hog ring.
In a mean time, I will use the captain's method!

I use the hog rings too, then use some adhesive lined heat shrink tubing to dress it up.
I currently have a net needle with harness thread on it, going to do a 3/4" series of clove hitches (honked down tight) followed with the heat shrink tubing again. It should look purdy & hold tighter'n a frog's butt. :wink:

Tie a simple square knot, pull it TIGHT, burn the ends, put the knot under the loop of webbing made by the keeper for the D-ring, and then pull that loop down snug. The knot will disappear and your loop will be plenty strong. I've only had one pull loose and that was the one that came rigged by Halcyon...I just retied it and have never had a problem again. In fact, other than that one, none of mine have come loose...and I got a bunch of 'em that have seen a lot of use! The only trick is getting the loop of bungie the right size...'cause when you pull that knot tight, it will get a little bigger. A little trial and error seems to get the job done.

I use a Zeppelin Bend. Strong, simple (no tools required) and can tie it on the spot.

BTW, melting the ends of cut bungee (and cave line) with a lighter will keep it from fraying.

A not very well known bend or knot, but superb for slippery stuff like bungee cord is the Vice Versa.. Kind of a combination sheet bend and square knot. It is very secure, i.e. resists working loose. I often use it in small cord, but it's bulky and unnecessary in larger line. Nearly impossible to untie, so you will probably end up cutting it off if you need to remove the loop.

To tie it, lay the two ends parallel. Make the right hand loop, then the left hand loop, then tuck the loose ends into the opposite loops.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom