How do you other boatowners deal with the delicate subject of money and divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ass, grass, or cash -- No one rides for free.

:laughing: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

We have a 47 Wellington ketch, and we don't ask for money, but I won't turn it down if they offer. Some people offer 20 bucks for gas. My husband wanted to ask for grub, but my feeling is you don't ask your guests to bring anything. But men are more simple, they just think of beer and potato chips. My involvement has turned our sailings into gastronomic cruises. And I've upgraded all the china, flatware, glassware. I want to reupholster everything. (Am I strange that I hate nautical design on boat? I mean, I'm on a boat, does my upholstery need to have sailboats on it too to remind me?)
Our boat is in this weird little, tight space in the marina, so it's difficult to get in and out especially if the wind isn't helping. So guests are asked to help man the fenders and take in a line or two. But I don't think anyone minds that, it's part of that boat experience.

I was thinking of something far simpler than that, like gas, grass, or ass. Telesto is beautiful. Your husband is a squid of some vintage?

We never had any problems with money. People always offered more than their share of the gas would have cost (our runs are short). What nobody ever did was come and help with the three or four hours of boat clean up that was involved that evening or the following day. Frankly, I would happily have paid for ALL the gas if I'd gotten some help with the cleaning. The amount of sheer work involved in using the boat helped get us to the point where we don't take it out any more.
Merry and I have a system worked out. If we have a guest or two, they are probably at home by the time we leave the boat. No Pressure has twin outboards, so we hook up two hoses and run fresh water through them while we pack up our things we take home. I usually come back the next day to fill tanks. Our LDS is only two blocks from the marina, which is very convenient. I hang our drysuits outside while I fill tanks. We leave our gear on the boat, so it's usually just cameras, food and towels that come home with us.
Inside the boat is an air dryer and two dehumidifiers. I hate the moldy smell many boats have, so we keep it dry inside. Other than tank filling, it takes us less than thirty minutes to clean the boat after we dock. If someone helps us it takes longer. :(
We've been waiting for mechanics to get parts and bottom paint so we can haul it out. We've been dry for four weeks now. I'm seriously considering beach diving.

Merry and I have a system worked out. If we have a guest or two, they are probably at home by the time we leave the boat. No Pressure has twin outboards, so we hook up two hoses and run fresh water through them while we pack up our things we take home. I usually come back the next day to fill tanks. Our LDS is only two blocks from the marina, which is very convenient. I hang our drysuits outside while I fill tanks. We leave our gear on the boat, so it's usually just cameras, food and towels that come home with us.
Inside the boat is an air dryer and two dehumidifiers. I hate the moldy smell many boats have, so we keep it dry inside. Other than tank filling, it takes us less than thirty minutes to clean the boat after we dock. If someone helps us it takes longer. :(
We've been waiting for mechanics to get parts and bottom paint so we can haul it out. We've been dry for four weeks now. I'm seriously considering beach diving.

I feel like the cleaning never stops. But it's mostly the repairs that are issues. We had mice on the boat last winter. That was a nightmare. They invaded the marina, they had to rip out every dock. I was ready to dry dock the boat and tent it or just burn it. At least we have nice, new docks now. Then, last summer we went to change the tile for the shower in the master cabin and we discovered some mold and wood rot. It's a labor of love. We still shore dive a lot. It takes 3 hours to get out of San Diego Bay from where we are on the Silver Strand with our sailboat. And it only takes 25 min to drive to La Jolla. But I still prefer boat diving. No diving this weekend, we have 12 foot waves and 25+mph winds.

We made what turned out to be a very serious error when we bought our boat -- we bought a fiberglass hull. EVERYTHING that touches the fiberglass leaves a mark. It's not feasible, where we dive, to insist that people take their shoes off when getting on the boat (since we generally get our dry suits on before leaving the dock). So you have black footprints everywhere. Tanks mark the hull everywhere they touch it. All of it takes not just hosing, but scrubbing. In addition (and this is no one's fault but ours) the engine is a 2-stroke, so I have to clean oil residue off the hull and especially off the aft surfaces and the engine.

It's actually pretty funny to watch me sally forth to do battle with the boat, equipped with bucket, scrub brushes, electric floor scrubber, and a ridiculous number of spray bottles of expensive boat cleaning stuff.

ar127948145750088.jpg

These work wonders on boats. Black marks disappear instantly.

Clorox Clean-Up gets the scuffs off fiberglass. Guests always seem to bring something nice onboard. But I never ask for or accept gas money. They are my guests and I feed them fresh butterball turkey sandwiches and beer / champagne or jello shots after diving. They also don't help me clean but all sign waivers in addition to the boat being insured. I like it when they get a chance to drive the boat - it gives me a break and they get excited driving.

I guess after reading some of these posts I am very fortunate!! I have a couple of 24' pontoons that I use in the St. Lawrence during the "non ice" months. No launching fees at the numerous launches available and both are powered by mid size four stroke engines. Usually 4-6 divers per trip and it is discussed before, no, more like announced, that there will be no fee to go!! The fuel costs on these are low and they are easy to clean. It usually plays out that some will bring snacks, damn good ones too, and some will bring drinks. My theory is; I was going one way or another, so come along and lets have a ball!! I have assembled a functional boarding ladder from an older fiberglass step ladder that makes getting on board after a dive, even in drysuits with twins pretty easy. I do appreciate some of the expense that you have with the larger boats and when invited, paying or helping the owner is a no brainer. I would like to know that I would be invited again. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom