How do you use the GoPro Tradeup deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm thinking my family is going to get me a GoPro 9 for Christmas, mostly because I put it on my list and the spousal unit wants me to figure out exactly what I want.

I'd like to use the $100 off for trading in my old Hero 4, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it in such a way I can explain it to said spousal unit.

The GoPro site seems to suggest you indicate it somewhere during checkout, but I went all the way through the checkout process right up to "Submit Order" (including entering credit card info and reviewing the order) and didn't see anywhere to indicate I was trading in an old camera.

There's a line at the top of the checkout page that references the program, but nowhere I can see to indicate I'm using it.

I'd call them and ask, but I think they're closed for the day and spousal unit wants info before taking tomorrow off work to shop.....

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Looks to me like the GoPro site tells you exactly how it works and the steps involved. The price listed has already been discounted by $100. You place your order, get a pre-printed shipping label and send in the old camera, then they ship the new one. In that process, there might not be time to get it done before Christmas.

Looking around the site, the better deal is get the GoPro 9 with 1yr Gopro subscription and free extra battery and 64Gb SD card for $349. No camera exchange required.

This..it's pretty straightforward. I did it a while back and traded a 4 for an 8. Process was pretty painless and at the time it was the best deal I could find. My 4 was barely functional but they don't seem to care about the condition of the camera you are trading.

Looking around the site, the better deal is get the GoPro 9 with 1yr Gopro subscription and free extra battery and 64Gb SD card for $349. No camera exchange required.
I think that's what's hanging me up. I go to the "TradeUp" page, click on Hero 9 Black, and it dumps me to the package deal (for $349.98) but shows the banner about TradeUp details above it. But when I try to check out, there's no indication of a discount.

If $349 is the best deal available, I'm fine with that. But if I can get an extra $100, that'd be lovely.

I'm guessing you're right in that you can't use two deals at once, the $100 back AND the package price. The fine print says something to that effect, though it's not clear and GoPro doesn't help by having the only link from the TradeUp page going to the $349.98 package.....

No worries about getting here by Christmas.

It seems clear to me. They show the list price of $449 with a line through it and the $349 next to it. That's your $100 discount. You aren't getting it for $249, I'll bet money on that. They don't care about your old Hero 4. It has zero value to them. It will go in a crusher. It's just an advertising gimmick to get you to buy. Same thing as the package deal, which gives you the same price and a battery and memory card without the hassle of shipping an old camera.

It seems clear to me. They show the list price of $449 with a line through it and the $349 next to it. That's your $100 discount. You aren't getting it for $249, I'll bet money on that. They don't care about your old Hero 4. It has zero value to them. It will go in a crusher. It's just an advertising gimmick to get you to buy. Same thing as the package deal, which gives you the same price and a battery and memory card without the hassle of shipping an old camera.
Got it. I assumed the $349 price with the trade in got you the same deal as the package price. As you were trying to tell me originally, the trade in isn't worth it. If I go in without the trade in, the package price is broken out as $299.99 for the camera, plus $49.99 for a subscription. If I go in with the trade in, it's $349.99 just for the camera. Both include some freebies, but you get more with the package deal.

I think part of their reasoning for the trade-in isn't just sales gimmick when they have no other sales gimmicks going, but also because it gets the older cameras off the streets. If I don't get a discount for sending it to GoPro, I'll give it to another diver who may end up delaying a purchase for a couple years because my old camera is meeting their needs.

I sold a Hero 4 not long ago for $100 to a guy who wanted to mount it on his fishing boat. A lot of drone pilots are looking for older cheaper ones, too. Since they tend to crash them, lol.

The tradeup deal isn’t worth it

I got caught out with this too.
I thought I’d get the tradeup discount as well as the new Hero9 + subscription deal price.... you don’t!

but what they do do is start taking the payment for the subscription right away, even if you never send your camera in or continued the deal.... they still take the money and then you got weeks or even months trying to reclaim your money.

GoPro’s customer service is well known for being one of the worst in the world and you should do everything possible to avoid needing to use it ever!

just get the package deal and for the love of god make sure you pay on a good credit card that can assist of things go wrong

Back
Top Bottom