How do you wash neoprene socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

College Diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What method, and detergent type, should I use to clean the neoprene :confused:

I've only worn them a total of about 9 hours, but man are those things FUNKY :11:

seriously, is there any way to save them?

I spend 5 hours at a time in pools in my wetsuit, then it gets rinsed and packed away. At times it can get pretty ripe.

I use the Mcnett wetsuit shampoo, and the mirazyme. It seems to work pretty well. You can buy a package with both of these plus other items at scubatoys.

thanks for the feedback... I'll check it out

turn them inside out and scrub them with a soft nylon dish brush with anti bacterial soap and warm water and hang them in the shower to dry up-side down...I went to lowes and bought a dehumidifier and pluged it in the bathroom close the door and in three to four hours all of my gear is bone dry ,wet suit ,bc, booties ,socks ,gear bag.....

You can also use listerine... my wetsuit boots had the funk once, and after washing them, I dumped in a little listerine in each boot, swished it around, and then put them in a gallon ziplock bag to sit for a day.

Came out minty fresh, and tended to resist the funk after that...

I just rinse in a fresh water... No soap at all.

Listerine is also good solution when you can smell a weird.

My kids got me a kit (one of those at the LDS checkout for impulse purchases, I think) with wet suit shampoo several years ago. Once I used it all, I found 2 capfuls of Dawn anti-bacterial dish soap and an hour or two on the soak cycle in my washing machine worked fine for all my neoprene items. One spin cycle, hang it all up & air dry... funk no more.

All of the above plus a bar of Irish Spring in each (still in the box) after you get them dried out... helps with any remaining smell.

Back
Top Bottom