How early is too early?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBigfins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When does the dive season for wrecks off NC start? Thinking of taking a trip in April. Any trips going out? Water temps at depth? Sea conditions? Thanks in advance

Last year I went out with Aquatic Safaris on April 14th, 2018. We went to the John D. Gill and the Hyde. The John D. Gill: 25 miles offshore, 86 ft deep, bottom temp 63 degrees. The Hyde: 18 miles out, 82 ft, bottom temp 61 degrees.

Here's video from that dive:

My experience has been similar to @WinfieldNC. If I dive in mid to late April, I'm in my 7mm semidry. By mid May, the temps usually start to creep up into the low 70s.

Typical sea conditions for that area? Understanding that its day to day. Are calm days still rough seas etc?

Typical sea conditions for that area?

Unfortunately, it's a "roll the dice, take your chances" kind of thing. Typically the summer months (June-Sept) have the nicest weather, but I've had charters cancelled in the summer as well. I've dove anywhere from solid 6' seas (don't recommend) to perfectly flat calm. "Nice days" can be anything from perfectly flat to 2' seas. If I understand what you're asking, no the NC folks don't consider a day with 4' waves a "nice day!" We definitely look forward to the really flat days.

I do check FishWeather forecasts before my trips. Their marine forecasts seem to be more accurate than NOAA's. However, I do't put much confidence an any marine forecast more than about 3 days out.

I always start my NC dive season in April, in fact I started the April 14 dive last year. Had great conditions and 40-50 ft viz. Viz not always that good but was then. This year I have set up a Gill/Hyde trip for April 27 with Aquatic Safaris since I will be in Florida in early April. 9 AM departure. Room last time I checked. Come join us. Sign up directly with AS. They have a great cancelation policy (5 days ahead for that particular pair of dives) I expect mid 60s at worst. I dive a 7mm with hooded vest and will be toasty.

I will add the for a NC boat, AS runs a bit on the conservative side. I have dove some 4/5 with them but that was when we all got surprised and the seas that were supposed to lay down, did not. Those were rare exceptions. Generally AS will cancel if the forecast is for 4s. They also like to cancel the night before around 5 if they are going to cancel.

I always start my NC dive season in April, in fact I started the April 14 dive last year. Had great conditions and 40-50 ft viz. Viz not always that good but was then. This year I have set up a Gill/Hyde trip for April 27 with Aquatic Safaris since I will be in Florida in early April. 9 AM departure. Room last time I checked. Come join us. Sign up directly with AS. They have a great cancelation policy (5 days ahead for that particular pair of dives) I expect mid 60s at worst. I dive a 7mm with hooded vest and will be toasty.
Hey Steve,
I just signed up for the April 27th dive. Still plenty of spots open.
See you on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom