• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How far do you swim?

Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by JonG1, Feb 14, 2020.

1. JonG1

JonG1 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Cheers tbone I spotted it was feet but misread his post about distance in, think that would have been a bit too far for me!

2. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I'm far too lazy to swim that far which is why I don't do the reverse traverse and back in Peacock. It's just too damned much kicking. I can do it, but I really don't want to.

3. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Agreed, probably farthest I've swam in flow.

4. ofg-1

ofg-1 Course Director

Swim? You mean after your scooter dies and you ditch it, right?

kensuf and tbone1004 like this.
  5. karstdvr

karstdvr Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    As long as it is not a syphon and you have performed conservative gas management ( not 1/3rds which is way to liberal), then IMHO that is going to be the best means, because you are not dependent on a mechanical device which can fail. I have swam over 10,000 ft several times, swam to the Heinkel in high flow etc , never once did I come close to 1/3rds. I would ask the converse of your question, those that are scooter dependent, do they have the physical ability to make a long swim out if there are failures as max penetration.

Jack Hammer likes this.
  6. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Can I? Yes. Do I want to? Absolutely not. The deco penalties of kicking out alone are tremendous in certain environments. I can get out in 25-30% of the time it takes to kick in most situations. I plan gas much more conservatively than that, but I also have a backup scooter for a reason...

7. karstdvr

karstdvr Solo Diver

# of Dives:
    The concern is that there are those that have become so scooter dependent , that a safe exit plan may not be possible if they don't have a functional scooter to exit. A couple years ago I guided a guy that complained because the site we went to wouldn't allow scooters until you did 3 swim dives. We had to take 4 rest breaks in this low flow system with him clutching the wall and stopping with maybe a 1200ft linear penetration. This individual had no business doing anything more than a cavern dive. At least you have a back up scooter,for systems that are scooterable.

tbone1004 likes this.
  8. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Solo Diver

Yup, dont forget the Mainland incident.
    :eek:

kensuf likes this.